Starting Over With Back Problems

• Last July I woke up one morning with a backache that wouldn't go away.  By August I decided to see the Doc.  X-rays revealed nothing and I was sent to Physical Therapy to no avail.  I did continue with my exercise program in spite of the pain.  Then in October the pain morphed into a shooting pain from my right buttock clear down to my foot.  Any excercise was excruciating....just walking was extremely painful.   I then had a MRI and that revealed spinal stenosis in L4&5, two degenative disks, and Spondylosis in L2&3.  I had two injections that stopped the pain down my leg, but it remained in my butt and hips.  I then had an epidural that, at this point, has the pain down pretty well to where it is only bad when I get up in the morning and at the end of the day.

I want to get back into my routine but I am terrified that it will trigger the terrible nerve pain again.  Any suggestions on activities and routines that will not aggravate it?

• Wow, I think the best thing you can do is get your doctor to tell you what not to do instead.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Great advice...also check this place out:  

www.mobilitywod.com/.../episode-166365-simple-recipes-for.html

Best!

~Rob

• I agree, check with your doctor. About three years ago, I was down for 6 weeks due to a bad disk in my lower back. (it's an old injury I've had problems with before) I've done physical therapy advised by my doctor. My weight was up and down. Steroids didn't help. I can still feel the pressure in my back when I put any impact on it. Therefore, I do not run anymore, instead, I use a stationary bike or swim. This past year, I have slowly strenthened my core enough to begin BFL again. This is my first week and so far I feel great. I am careful to listen to my body and stop if something doesn't feel right.

But definitely check with your doctor.

• Rob, those mobility wods are the best thing EVER.  I'm 48 and my hip flexors have improved so much since I started working them.

Mondello, it also wouldn't hurt to see a Chiropractor.  I adore mine.  I currently have a 210# deadlift and a 160# back squat.  I do handstands, burpees and box jumps.  He's never ever once told me to stop.  He started with an X-ray and has treated me through Sciatica all drug free.  I adore him.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I'm brand new and right with you on the back injury part... Mine is old though (6years) but still gives problems when aggravated, and I have Frieberg's in my left foot as well (so running and long periods of weight-bearing are out).  

I'm going to try the stationary bike thing and the weights and pray for the best.  All I know is something has to give; my weight is hard on both back and feet...

Here goes day 1:)