Triceps

• I am wondering what is the BEST way to firm up triceps. The part I'm talking about (ladies, I know you're going to relate) is the part right under your arm that 'jiggles' when you hold your arm out to your side. hehe! I exercise at home, and the exercises I do are Standing Dumbbell Extensions, and Lying Dumbbell Extensions. I cannot do dips...the last time I tried (one set) of dips I injured my right rotator cuff (two years ago) and it has never been the same!

Thanks!

Leggs 

• Hi Leggs. My wife and I do the dumbell extensions, sitting and lying. I have never been a big fan of standing due to most people tend to arch your back which can lead to lumber spine injuries. Bench dips are good but of course, you stated you injured yourself doing those. A good home exercise for triceps (well this is actually a chest exercise) is push ups. Tricip kick backs are also a good home dumbell exercises. I do have a question, do you only use dumbells or do you have a home gym set up?

The only limitations that you have , are those that you set upon yourself

• Pushups. Pushups. Pushups.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Pushups,  huh?  I will have to try that cause I agree with Leggs.....I go as hard as I can on upper body days to work my triceps and I feel like they haven't budged.  My biceps look great but i can't seem to firm up the triceps.  I do the tricep machines but nothing seems to make a difference.  I will try and do pushups.  

• And I don't mean on your knees.  

If you have to start on your knees then do that.  

But work hard to do full on regular military pushups.  

When you get good at those and can do say 50, move it to a bosu ball turned upside down.

• Have you tried kickbacks?

if you worked out at a gym i'd also suggest French Press (lying extension with E-Z curl bar) or a pushdown/pressdown.

• FIFTY????

My goal is to do five :)

• OMG KimC. Very rarely do I look at someone's before & after pics and say "holy crap" but yours made me say it out loud! wow. WOW!

• I should have mentioned that pushups are out as well...I have a bum elbow due to a break (right at the growth plate) when I was in 4th grade, same side as the shoulder. I've always been weak on the right side b/c of it. I might be able to work up to 5 on my knees, but I don't want to risk straining my shoulder. And I've never been able to do a 'real' pushup...they would have kicked me out of the military...LOL! I'll give the Kickbacks a try...

Thanks!

Leggs

• Alchemistress - thank you for the kind words

• alchemistress it took me a long time to get them.  You have to start somewhere and 5 is a great starting point.  I started with on the knees, worked my way up to 5 then multiple sets of 5, then 10 etc.

Never underestimate the power of your dreams and never settle for less than you are capable of.

Leggs have you thought about using a band and doing overhead triceps press?  That should allow you to do more reps than dumbbells which should certainly help you get what you want.

• I did think about the band and I have one! I will try it next time, and mix it up with the kickbacks!

Thanks!

• Hi Leggs, you might try this for your rotator cuff injury:

I injured mine lifting weights a few years ago and this little exercise worked wonders when nothing else seemed to work.  I still use it as a warmup to prevent shoulder injuries before lifting.

• Thanks so much! I will try this!!

• I think Bench Dips are the way to go. I couldn't do regular dips at all at one point, did bench dips for about a month, and then could spontaneously do 10 regular dips unassisted.