Where's the pain?

• I might be speaking too soon, but I am starting out week three today. The first week and a half were painful, but I don't feel it much anymore. Does this mean my workouts aren't effective anymore? I try to increase the weight to keep progressing, I am just affraid I am hitting a flat line.

Also, I am conflicted because I started out using dumbbells the first week. The second week I switched to the machines since they felt more stable and easier to perform with. Could that be the reason my workouts aren't as effective anymore? I think I need to do some research on some good dumbbell exercises for weight training. I just feel lost and need help.

Thanks!

• DOMS: Delayed onset muscle soreness is cause by eccentric motion of a an exercise, the lengthening portion. So for bicep curls that would be the lowering of the weight. Free weights are always better than machines because you build up the stabilization. Slow down your reps and use free weights. Also change up your routine every 3-4 weeks.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Thanks for the feedback.

I switched back to dumbbells and felt I had a better workout. I am not really sure which exercises are *more effective*, so I am just going by the ones listed in the animated exercises area of the Tools section of this website. I am starting week three today, so I might be expecting too much too soon ...

This was my upperbody workout today:

Chest: (Reps / Weight) dumbbell weight is total weight with both db's.

Incline Dumbbell Press

12/30

10/40

8/50

6/60

12/50

Incline Dumbbell Bench Fly

12/30

Shoulders: (Reps / Weight) dumbbell weight is total weight with both db's.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press (palms forward)

12/30

10/40

8/50

6/60

12/30

Dumbbell Should Press (palms facing each other)

12/20

Back: (Reps / Weight)

Close Grip Lat Pull Down

12/65

10/70

8/75

6/80

12/70

Wide Grip Lat Pull Down

12/60

Triceps: (Reps / Weight)

Tricep Close Grip Push Down

12/25

10/30

8/35

6/40

12/30

Overhead Dumbbell Press (using one dumbbell)

12/20

Biceps: (Reps / Weight) dumbbell weight is total weight with both db's.

Hammer Curls

12/30

10/40

8/40

6/40

12/30

Double Curls

12/20

• Looks like a good workout. Hammer curls are my favorite as they also work the forearm. Is there are reason you did not increase the weight each set? One thing I found out is that hammer curls increase the height of the bicep muscle but not the width. I used them a my main exercise and never saw much increase in my bicep measurement. For the past 4 weeks I switched to preacher curls and finally saw an increase because preacher curls increase the width of the bicep muscle.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Thanks for the feedback. I didn't increase the weight with my hammer curls because I started out too heavy. I am still trying to find a good weight for my workouts so I can increase each set. I decided to do preacher curls with my last UPWO and man, 3 days after my biceps are still sore. LOL

Since this post, I have moved mostly to free weights, and have been feeling more sore again, which I guess is a good sign. Someone told me that you can't always base a good workout only if you feel pain after. But someone else told me you should feel pain 2-3 days after the workout each time. I am confused ...