Ab workout

• Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the ab workout is done in the way as the other exercises ie. 12x10.8 etc.?  If so, do you only do weighted crunches and increase the weight as you reduce the reps?

Thanks,

Dianah

• Hi Dianah,  I've been doing crunches on a yoga ball with not weights.  Then reverse crunches on the floor for my second 12.  Doing the full 2 seconds up, 1second squeeze, 3 seconds down is a killer with abs!  Once I get to the point where I can do more with proper form, I'll add 1lb aerobic dumbells  or maybe even use resistance bands.  

• Because of the size of this muscle group, I actually do this routine:

yoga ball crunches (with 20# weight on chest) x 12

rest 30-45 seconds

overhead cable crunches (killer!) x 12

rest 30-45 seconds

yoga ball crunches (with 25# weight on chest) x 12

rest 30-45 seconds

overhead cable crunches (killer!) x 12

rest 30-45 seconds

yoga ball crunches (with 35# weight on chest) x 12

Finish up with side raises (obliques) x 12 on each side

It's not the 12,10,8,.. routine I realize but it is working for me.  I can feel the muscles underneath the layer of fat I'm battling to lose...Ugh!

Do note, that I did do a 12,10,8... routine of crunches followed by obliques for my first challenge and really strengthened my abs (more than I realized).

Keep it up!

PS:  That yoga ball is the ticket!  I can do so many exercises on it.  It's cheap and it's fun to use.

• I think doing the 12,10,8,6,12 is tough for abs, especially women.  I don't like to add much weight, if any, to my ab workouts; I don't want my obliques to get too thick, and they do if I add too much weight.  I have always done abs on cardio days (3x per week) and find various ab routines to do.  I have ab DVD's as well as routines I have found in Oxygen & other fitness mags.

Best of luck to you.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I'm doing my abs on "leg days" like the book says. I do the sets like the book says too (12,10,8,6) on the "ab cruncher" machine at the gym. Both of the abs machines at the gym seem to work the muscles in the upper abs, but I don't feel anything in the lower abs. I'm wondering if I should do some leg lifts on those days as well as the ab cruncher and the other machine (I forgot what's it's called).

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!

• For mine, I do hanging straight leg lifts (12,10,8,6,12) and then 45degree hyper extensions until I can't do anymore. It seems to be effective since I always hit my high point, and I can feel my abs the next day, and day after. LOL

I just hope it's enough so when my gut sheds I will have some abs popping out! :-)

I am just starting week three, so I guess I will find out in a few more weeks.

• I really struggle with my abs but not because  of my abs themselves but because of my neck. If I do crunches I find the strain on my neck unbearable and long before my abs are at exhaustion I have to stop!

When I used to go to the gym a few years ago I used to use the ab cruncher muachine (with the bar across your chest and performing seated crunches and found it to be good as I could work my abs to exaustion that way. I was hoping the seated crunches at home would work much the same but I can't seem to get the technique quite right to really get my abs feeling like they have worked.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what I might be able to do, at home,  to work my abs more?

• - This was one video I thought was pretty cool. Plus, I just realized it includes an option to leave your head/neck on the floor...

www.livestrong.com/.../388803-can-oblique-exercises-make-the-waist-wider

• In the BFL book, it says to do the abs on your LBWO days. In keeping with the book's schedule, one would do Mon and Fri one week. The next week, we would only do LBWO on Wed. I'm beginning to feel that's not enough (the abs is a trouble spot). I'm seriously considering doing my abs on Tues, Thurs and Sats (on my cardio days). Is that going to be too much?

Come visit my blog!

• Rachel,

Thanks for posting that link. I was reading some of the articles on the website. It's a very good website too.

Come visit my blog!

• As I enter the last few days of my 2nd challenge (Day 168 this Saturday!!!), I have found these truths to be evident...

.  You can't lose fat in just one place - it has to come off in sheets from your whole body

.  That hard to lose fat is lost in the kitchen just as importantly as in the gym.  It's about a caloric deficit to lose body fat.

.  To see a six pack, you have to get down to somewhere near 10-12% bf (for men).  I'm at around 13% and still have a little tuft of flab that's hiding those rips - BUT, they are there!   ;)

.  Performing exercises SAFELY is much better than pulling a muscle just to lift more weight.  (Been there done that...It hurts)  Just be patient and lift to 10's (not 15's)

.  I workout my abs on LWBO and after my 20 minute HIIT days.  That's alot but it seems to be doing the trick.

.  A 49 y/o person can lose those unwanted pounds and get in the best shape of their life.  

.  BFL REALLY REALLY REALLY WORKS!  I am so proud of myself for sticking to this...

• Thanks Red Dawg. I think I'll use the ab crunch machine at the gym and the suspended leg lifts on my LBWO days and some ab pilate exercises on my cardio days. I know I have to step it up a bit.

Come visit my blog!

• Hi Dianah!  Not sure if I have the right person - you suggested the site for me and I am finally getting started!

• BDMOM is absolutely right. Using weights with your ab exercises will add serious bulk to the size of the muscle. In fact, many body builder do not use weights with their abs unless they are ectomorphs, or when they have bulked up too much everywhere else and want to add bulk to the abs to make the size of the abs in tune with the rest of their huge muscles.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• RedDawg, Proud of you too.  Good job on completing C2.