Lifting heavy ..

• So, as I am building strength and starting to lift heavier I am having some problem holding the dumbbells I need or want to use.  Today for example I was using 30# dumbbells while doing walking lunges and calves.  To be honest I probably could have used 35#, but I was already struggling just to hold the 30#!  It seems my hands/fingers and wrists aren’t strong enough to hold that heavy weight for any length of time.  I do wear lifting gloves which helps, but not enough...

Any other suggestions??

• I had the same exact problem and the solution is something called Versa Gripps.  www.versagripps.com.  Many of the "old school" BFL people use them and I have yet to hear a complaint.  They are awkward at first, but I now can't imagine free weights without them.  Do yourself a favor and splurge the extra $10 for the pro ones.  They really are better.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Thanks girl!!  As always you are there with the answers I need!!  ;-)

• Ooh even better I just found them on Amazon for $25!!

• Are you sure?  I just saw them there for $52.50 (the Pro ones).

• Grrr ... I must have been tired, I swear I saw them for $25, but I guess not lol!

• If I recall correctly, you are petite, yes?  I just remembered something!  I have an extra pair of Pro Versa Gripps.  They are size x-small.  My small are somewhat too big so I got the x-small, but then they were a bit too small so I don't use them.  They have literally been used only once.  Measure the circumference of your largest wrist.  Is it 6" or smaller?  If so, I'll send them to you for free.  They aren't doing me any good and I would love for someone to use them.

• Oh my Stars!!  You're kidding??!!  I would LOVE them!!!!  Yes my wrist is about 5.5" I just measured last night when I was looking at them!!  You are AMAZING!!  I will send you my address in a private message!!  You just made my day, what a super sweet person you are!!!!

• happy to help

• i love this board...  That is so nice of you to give freely, reminds us of the law of reciprocation also talked about in BFL.  When I did this challenge in the past, I had an internet buddy doing it with me, then she quit b4 the 12 weeks were over, and she mailed me ALL her unused myoplex!  It was so wonderful.

• It takes some time for your grip to strengthen as you increase in weights.  I didn't life heavy for a couple of months and I was surprised that I could barely grasp the weight.  By the end of my upper body  workout my hands and wrists were more worn out then the muscle groups I was trying to focus on.  

• I used wrist straps that are similar to Versa Grips but longer and wrap around the bar several times.  

I have a strong grip but they help me lift more with my back without worrying about the bar slipping out and the injuries that could occur.  

To strengthen your grip, try using a light DB and curling your wrist upwards.  I do them with forearm up and down, usually after I'm done with biceps.

Matthew McClelland

2010 Grand Master Champion

• Thanks Matt great advice!!  And Jessica I got the grips yesterday and I am sooooo excited to try them out!!  I cannot wait until Sunday (tomorrow is my free day) to try them out!!  Thank you thank you thank you!!  Again you are too amazingly sweet to do this!!

Hugs, Crystal

• This string really made me smile.  Nice!

• Hello Everyone. I started my first challenge, and am 30 days in. I just found this forum and think its great. I am finding that at my 30 day mark I am losing a little steam... I am pretty small to begin with but now that I am 33 I really noticed that my body was becoming round in the places that should have angles (like my abs) and angled in the places that should be round (flat butt...wtf??) Thats what prompted me to start this challenge.... I think i must be hitting some kind of a plateau, or maybe Im just not pushing myself enough?? I can see that Im making progress, but its stalling, and im getting a little bummed. Has anyone else experienced this?