When will the strength come ?

• I have been using 5 lbs forever now and recently started using 8 lbs. I can barely do anything with 10 lbs and above. How can build my strength to lift more heavier weights ? How should I go about this ?

• Does your gym have an area with more weights for things like aerobics?  I ask because those usually come in more increments.  There's also something called plate mates or micro weights.  Those are small magnetic weights that you put on the end of your dumbbell and then you can better control your options to create more.  I hope this helps. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• at our gym, i saw 5, 8, 10, 12, 15 lbs and beyond.

• That's what they keep with the main weights, but check the aerobics room or area where they do core work.

Or ask.  :-)

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• If you train consistently, intensely, and support yourself nutritionally, you will get stronger.

Here are a few tips to keep in mind:

Breathing shallowly or holding one's breathe while working out limits the oxygen supply to the muscles and the brain, and decreases performance. Make sure you "inhale on effort" and exhale when lowering the weight. It will help you push through your workout.

Don’t suddenly lift a lot. Over time, you will start to gain strength. Don’t rush it.

Stick with it! The only way to get stronger is to hit the weights frequently and challenge yourself during each session. You will feel a burn while lifting, try to embrace that feeling and don’t rack the weights when it happens.

If you’re working with 5-pounds pick up a 10 pound weight and try to perform a few reps. You don’t have to perform a full set. You can gradually build up to it.

Believe in yourself! You have to push hard, and the only obstacle to overcome is getting your mind in tune with your body.

Remember, without a proper diet, you are not giving your body the nutrition it needs. Eat six small meals a day. Don’t skip meals, instead fuel your body in an effort to sustain yourself during vigorous training.

Make everyday count!

Lori

• Very awesome advice Lori, I do agree that if you want to have results then you need to push yourself towards positive failure while having good control over the movement without any compromise.

Going heavy is a good way to build muscles and burn fat though I have seen guys going super heavy and ended up having bad injuries. Go heavy but not over heavy, there is a mantra that No Pain No Gain which is awesome though pain doesn't mean to go bonkers :)