HIIT Walking routine options...anyone have one?

• Can anyone suggest a really challenging HIIT walking routine? I am not really able to run due to a hip flexor issue and I already do the bike and stairmaster...looking for options!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• I don't think you can hit a 10 walking, unless maybe you add enough incline on a treadmill. What about an elliptical? They are not so hard on the hips.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• ayummymommy,

The beauty of BFL and HIIT is that a level 10 intensity is your level 10 and no one elses. Your level 10 is the maximum you can do. For some that might be a slow walk. For others a light jog. For others running at 12mph, but your 10 is your 10. And not only is your level 10 yours but you can never outgrow it. It s always just a little bit ahead of you.

The treadmill is not for everyone. For me it works better than anything but that is me. If you can find an exercise or machine that allows you to get to that point of perceived failure (that moment when you are sure you cant go on, yo uare gasping for air and are sure you are about to die) and then push beyond that to a level 10 then you are on the right track. Be it a bike or elliptical or skipping rope or whatever, the point is to follow the intervals then destroy self-percieved limitations and hit your 10s.

I hope I am not rambling here and that made some semblance of sense to you :)

all the best

Orrin

• sorry guys but the answer is plyometrics.

• ayummymommy,

I should have added, if you are having trouble with your hips you might want to consult a doctor or work with a qualified personal trainer (which I am not) to ensure you do not cause further injury and get the best cardio work out you can.

• Thanks everyone. I have gotten some good ideas. I already do the bike and stairmaster ...love to run but just not the best option for me now as it aggravates my hip flexor.

Years ago I had a similar issue and I was in a rehab (and NO running) for prob about 8 months. I know with rest and proper stretching it will be fine but for now I know running bothers me so I will try some of the other options.

• Orrin, you are right about 10s being different for everyone. My comments were based on other posts by ayummymommy, which led me to believe that walking would not get her to a 10. Your comments are a good reminder, though.

Charlie, I don't know a lot about plyometric techniques, but I am under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that there is a significant risk of injury for persons who are not conditioned athletes, especially attempting the moves unsupervised. Since ayummymommy already has an injury would this be appropriate for her? Please elaborate.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• plyo's is all about explosive movements, done correctly there is no greater risk than anything in the BFL workouts. I spoke to yummy earlier today and gave her an example interval to do. All bodyweight, squats/jump squats/lunges, split squats done w/bench, jumping over and back with a cone centered, jump rope....all these things can be used. You can go to a pool and do jump squats, heck of a workout. For some chest work you can put some plyo pushups too.

• Here is a workout anyone can do.....all body weight....

15 speed squats (.as fast as you can)

15 jump squats

15 lunges

15 high jumps / over and back is 1 rep

10 pushups

This is 1 set, do 5 sets. Take 1 minute rest between, if you want higher intensity, shorten rest duration to 30 seconds.

• I have definitely done plyo moves before, they are great. In fact P90X has a great session of plyo moves... plyo is definitely not just for athletes, it is a great alternative to the everyday cardio.

Thanks Charlie... this is great!

• Ooooh, squats and lunges, my faves! NOT.

Seriously, though, ayummymommy, that wouldn't aggravate your hip flexors?

And thanks Charlie for the additional information. On the high jumps where you say over and back is one rep, are you actually jumping over something?

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• It may... gotta try it. I am ok really with everything else (bike, elliptical, stairmaster), even running at lower speeds. It is when I am hitting the 9's and 10's (at speeds of 8 miles and up ) that the issues start... so I know it is not wise for me to continue with the treadmill. Don't need an injury to get in my way. Gotta find something else as my alternative to bike is all... to keep it interesting and fun!

• and I don't really feel it while running, it is after that the area is really sore and tight.

• I know how you feel. I have challenges of my own with the treadmill. I have exercise induced asthma and the only thing that triggers an attack is sustained running (well, altitude does too so I have to avoid mountains but that's not a day-to-day issue). I can handle the intervals pretty well and have learned to pay close attention to how my lungs feel. Sometimes I have to add an extra minute at level 6 so that my heart and breathing slow down enough before another interval. Bike and elliptical do no cause any breathing problems but I do not feel as if I work as hard on them.

I hope the pylo works for you, just be careful with the level of impact.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• One more quick suggestion - have you considered running on the treadmill at a lower speed but adding just enough elevation to get you to 9s and 10s?

Want it. Plan it. Do it.