Calf exercises without equipment

• I can't get to a gym but we have an olympic standard home gym.  That's great for most exercises but I'm having trouble with calves.

Hubby suggested I lay the EZ bar over my knees while placing the balls of my feet on a chunky bit of wood which works great but.....

I can lift waaaay more on my calves than I can safely lift up to my knees!  I'm not getting the burn and getting a seated and/or standing calf raise machine is out of the question as we don't have space for it (and it's unaffordable right now).

First time I did BFL in 2000, I was raising 50kg (or it might even have been more) at the 6rep mark.  Using the EZ bar, I'm only getting 10kg because of the upper body involvement.

Ideas please??????

Body for LIFE, not body for 12 weeks!

• Have you tried the calf raises on stairs? Do you have dumbbells? I did one leg calf raises with different wts. You can also angle your toes in on the stairs and raise like that for a different burn on the calves.

Hope this helps.

Oh I also did dumbbell jumps; up on toes, jump as high as you can land on your toes...good burn as well! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• I workout at home too.  Here is what  I do for calves...and often times my rep count is pretty high to get to failure with them.

- I let me heels hang over the edge of the stairs and do raises.  You can do this with with weights in your hand...a bar on your shoulder

- I do seated calf raises with dumbbells resting on my knees

- I put the olympic bar on my shoulders like I'm doing squats and do calf raises standing

- I break each set into 3rds approximately.  Feet pointing out/pointing in/pointing straight ahead.  This works the calf from every angle.

If I had an actual calf machine I could load a lot more weight, but without that...this is some of the variations I do.  Like I said, it takes me more reps than 10-12 to work them out, but I get it done.  I also would suggest slowing the reps down.  Even with light weight, it doesn't take long to get a burn when you slow it down in my experience....good luck and be creative with it.

• Thanks for the tips - just wish I had stairs!  LOL

I didn't check this thread before I did my LB this morning so I'll try some of the ideas this afternoon!  Won't hurt to work them out again today I'm sure :-)

This morning I placed a short length of wood next to the cross trainer and used that to balance (I have inner ear problems - balance is not good).  Without weight, I just went until I started shaking and the burn was too much and did that a few times.  I alternated between feet wide and feet together.  Seems I can do more reps with feet together so those muscles must be stronger.

Next time I might hold a 5kg weight across my chest to add the weight too.

Thanks again - I really appreciate the input.

Body for LIFE, not body for 12 weeks!