Is there a way to get the BFL upper body workout to under 40 minutes?

• My gym opens at 6:00am. I MUST be out of there by 6:40 in order to get to work on time. Is there a way to get the wo to under 40 minutes? I know shortcuts aren't ideal, but any advice would be appreciated.

*sorry if this double posts

• Cut down the 2 minute rest between muscle groups to 1 minute?

I have the same issue kinda. My gym opens at 5am and I need to be on the road by 6am. I do weights in the evenings and cardio in the mornings so I am not rushed.

Bryan

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• BFKMike told me once (although he didnt recommend it for me) was to "superset". So you can use this for your biceps and tri's. Maybe even chest then shoulders together.  Rather than waiting that minute inbetween to add weights, work the other muscle in that time period.

So do 12 reps of biceps, then right away do your 12 for triceps.

This will also work with LB.

I hope this makes sense and helps some. :)

• I did a bicep-triceps supersets last Tuesday because it was getting late. I switched between alternating bicep curls and tricep pulldowns with rope attachment. I got a weird look from one guy waiting to use the cable machine. Talked about pumped. After I finished I though my arms were going to explode (in a good way kind of feeling) I am excited to take my tape measurement in 2.5 weeks.

Bryan

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Just came across this. Aussie Debs emailed me many of Mikes posts and this popped up so I thought I would share.

One Minute Rest?

by: Michael Harris  

The first set is a stretch and warmup set for the particular set of muscles. The one minute wait is the minimum necessary time for the blood flow and other things that need to happen to get ready for the next sets, which are all work sets. If you work a muscle terribly hard with no warmup, you really create a big chance of injury. The second set, which is a moderate set of 10, should be sufficiently challenging that you need a few seconds to catch your breath and to allow once again fresh blood circulation into the muscles that carries away any lactic acid that builds up from muscle repetitions–this "reloads" the muscles. The third set is relatively challenging, and for the same reason as the last set you need the minute in between. The fourth set is the toughest effortwise, and you’ll definitely need that minute to catch your breath, clear the lactic acid from the muscles and set up for the next two sets of twelve! Then, why not wait between the last two sets of twelve? For the exact same reasons you waited in between the others. Huh? Well, what I mean is that the last two back to back sets of 12 with no wait at all are designed to totally fry the muscles, to really build up the lactic acid to the point that the burn and weakening muscle is so painful you can barely stand it. When I finish my second set of twelve with a big muscle group, such as quads or chest, I am in so much burning pain that I literally pound the muscles with my fists, so when the last set is done so that it kind of distracts the burn itself! Sound stupid? Well, studies have shown that it is the last sets of twelve that really prompt the body to release large amounts of natural human growth hormones to get in there and repair all that has gone on.

Having said all this, there IS A WAY that you can maximize your time in the gym without affecting your overall workout too much. Here’s what you do. Right after your first set of 12 reps for the chest muscles, you can go without waiting any time at all to the first set of twelve for the back muscles. And you can do the same thing for the next sets of well, though this formula all falls apart once you get to where you have to do the two sets of twelve! What you are really doing is working another group of muscles while the first group of muscles rests. As long as they are opposing groups, this works well. So, you can do it with chest/back and biceps/triceps and quadriceps/hamstrings. Of course, you can’t really do it with shoulders or calves. The only big drawback to the "work while you wait" approach is that you never really catch your breath during the heavier work sets and it gets quite difficult there. You of course can wait a bit, but if you wait too long between sets, some of the benefits are lost. For heavy muscle groups, like the chest, back and quads, you can easily wait two minutes between the work sets and still get a great result from the workout.

Newbies SHOULD NOT get themselves any more confused than they already are by trying this approach. I don’t want to have to come down to your health club and carry you out because you got confused during super sets and ended up half dead!

• I have the same problem i go to this free public gym that opens at seven but the guys open the doors as early as 6:15 sometimes 6:30 so when Im crunching for time Im doin push ups in the parking lot getting a start on the upperbody...might try to think of soething like that....

I started 8/4/10  I am seeing great results and people are noticing when i dont.

Take care, keep pushing, stay focus.

"perseverance is the key to unlocking ones full potential ..not strength, not knowledge, not wisdom"..winston churchill

• It helps to plan your workouts so you know what your going to be doing and it helps to arrive a few min early to have your weights ready to go and you don't waste time getting your equipment.