Question for Exercises....?

• I DO MY EXERCISES WHEN EVER I CAN FIT THEM INTO MY DAY! BUT I STRIVE TO GET THEM DONE 1ST THING IN THE MORNING! BUT I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS THAT I WOULD REALLY LIKE YOUR IMPUT ON.....

1. DO U EVER FEEL U HAVE U HAVE GIVEN 100% IN UR WEIGHTS AND U COULDNT PUSH ONE MORE REP OUT. BUT WHEN U LEAVE THE GYM AND FINISH HAVING A SHOWER DO U EVER WONDER IF THAT REALLY WAS UR 100%? MAYBE IF U HAD JUST TRIED ONE MORE TIME OR HAD A HIGHER WEIGHT THEN U MAY GET FASTER RESULTS? (I SOMETIMES FEEL LIKE THIS AND IT DRIVES ME INSANE WONDERING IF I COULD HAVE DONE BETTER)

2. I DO RPM (SPINNING) FOR 1HR x2 OR 3 TIMES A WEEK. I WAS WONDERING IF THIS WOULD BE OK FOR MY CARDIO AS IT IS HIT AND I REALLY DO PUSH MYSELF! 

3. IS IT OK IF I DO HITT IN THE MORNING AROUND 5.30AM AND THEN A SPINN CLASS AT 5.30PM BUT KEEPED IT LIGHTER?? HOW MUCH WOULD THIS EFFECT MY RESULTS?

CHEERS FOR YOUR TIME EVERYONE AND THANK YOU.

• 1.  Maybe it's time to increase the weight loading for your next workout.  You can always increase the number of reps just for the (6 X max wt.) set, and see if you can still complete the 24 reps that follow.  I did that on the quadriceps extension machine today, and managed 7 reps at max. loading, but the muscle could not do one more!  I then completed the set OK.   The feeling you're getting is either because the muscles are starting to recover, or perhaps you've released endorphins that can make you feel very energetic again.

2.  I don't know what spinning is, but many alternative aerobic activities are OK if your heart rate is going up, you're sweating heavily.  You should also be able to progress to a higher level with the activity you choose.

3.  Your body will adapt, so as long as you're doing an UBWO, a LBWO, and a cardio and you're hitting your 10's, you're fine.  The key is to do and do every day.

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Jacium~ i have a question along these lines...how often do you do abs?? i mean i see some people's results and it seems like they would have to be doing abs everyday....is it my imagination or is abs only on leg days? so just twice a week, at best??  and as she mentioned, if you are doing extra or double cardio...does that put your body in starvation mode because the amount of food consumption is lower ???

• Lisa, I do abs after my cardio.  I'll do a light ab workout on leg days, but I do my more intense one on cardio days.  Personally, I don't think the amount of time they tell you to do them is enough time.  You'd be working abs 3 times every two weeks, and only a light amount of them.  Everything I've read tells me that abs are a quick recovery muscle and can be worked every other day (I've read some places that you can work them every day, just doing different exercises the next day).  I do between 8 to 12 different exercises for my abs workout with each exercise going for 1 minute straight.  Take about a minute break and hit the next one, so the entire workout takes between 16 and 24 minutes.  I've only been doing this new workout (the 8 to 12 different ones) for the past 2 weeks, so I can't make an honest assessment yet, but it feels good when I'm done.  

As far as the extra cardio, I don't do it.  Not so much because I worry about starvation mode, but proper rest.  If you're doing HIIT to the fullest extent you can, you should be sending your body into fat burning mode for a while.  Your body needs to rest properly to see the gains you want to see.

Best of luck!

Mike

• hey Mike,

Thanks! all i know is today I am wiped out! I did cardio...and got to "10" (is that HIT?)....and then walked  for another 25...avg HR was about 130 after the workout....then did a mile walk when i got home...im freakin wiped...i mean....toast.  yea, i had heard abs daily was ok too...but again, not trying to rewrite what Bill phillips found to be true..just seems like not enough ab work...and i have alot of abs to lose ;-) ....do you have  awebsite that you have pulled these ab exercises from? have you seen any difference? how long have you been doing this?  if i am doing the challenge...am i supposed to do something to start besides start...heheh!

thx!

Lisa

• Lisa - my current ab workout, I got from a magazine titled, "Maximum Fitness."  It seems to be a similar magazine to what Muscle Media was, when that magazine was still on the stands (the magazine Bill Phillips founded for everyday people like you and me).  Anyway, that's the only way I stray away from the BFL program at all.  

HIIT is the cardio program Phillips outlines in his book.  The best way to describe a 10 for cardio is when you don't feel like you can do anymore, and you're only 10 to 15 seconds into the last minute of the high part, and you still manage to pull out the full minute at the same intensity, if not greater, than what you felt in that first 10 to 15 seconds.  It's pulling your mind into the workout to overcome what your body is telling you, in that it can't do anymore without quitting, and mentally, you prove your body wrong.  

Best of luck to you!

Mike

• Well I had to talk myself thru every secong of my "10" minute....i mean, literally talked to my legs....i dont doubt my cardio..i get there.  i'll have to see if i can find those ab workouts...so how do we blog???

• Lisa, Mike, well you guys already know abs are done with the LBWO on the BFL schedule.  While you're free to do more than that, you're working on a lot of other muscles too, so maybe you should keep to the schedule for now.  Abs also need a recovery period, if you've truly exhausted them.  I do mine on an "Ab Crunch" machine in the fitness center, with weights that adjust.  I start at a low wt., check form, and up the loading between sets as usual, doing the peak weight at some 55 lbs higher than the initial weight.  Last 12 reps (2nd excercise for the muscle group) is on a decline bench, with a weight plate on my chest.  I've tried doing more the next day, and found it wasn't worth the effort, because the muscles were not recovered enough to do much.  You could try doing more than one or two sessions a week, and see if yours recover faster.  

Of all the excercises we do on BFL,  I struggled the most with the ab crunches on my first challenge.  It took me 3 weeks (5 sessions) before I could even get all 60 reps in.  Hence, when I finally got to that point, it was a major boost to my morale!   Correct form is very important to get max. benefit on abs.  You should look up at the ceiling keeping your head back and don't look down if you're sitting on an ab crunch machine.  One sad note - if you want washboard abs, it may be very difficult if you are losing a lot of weight off of your midsection.  The fat will go away, but the skin has been stretched to the point it is like a large, empty bag.  It will take a long time for this to readjust (if ever at all, depending on your age).  Still, you will feel a hard ab muscle under the skin, and it helps tuck everything in.   And yes, I am concerned about too much cardio, and too little calories in some of the posts I've read.  That can put the body in survival mode, and the results just won't come......

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Jacium~ when you do the decline bench, do you go all the way back so that you are laying down and then all the way up...or do u maybe go past midway, but not all the way.   the reality is, washboard stomach may never be in my future...but i'd be happy to maybe see my belly button again ;-( was that too much info? anyhow...i was just thinking that it didnt see like much time was spent on abs...

I definitely dont want to put my body in survival mode...but a fairly easy walk should be ok???? heheh!  I just seemt o have more energy and seems like a waste to not do something...

• I lay all the way back on the decline bench.  But, come up only so far as to feel the strain on the ab. Keep your eyes looking up at the ceiling.   (If you go all the way up it would be a sit up - you may want to take it to 15 degrees or so).  Also, see if you can find some videos on the web (google it) of folks doing ab crunches, cause it's pretty hard to describe.  You're funny about the TMI - it is what it is, right?  Also, I really want to emphasize that the washboard abs thing is insignificant compared to the overall health benefits of doing BFL.

Jacium

• Jacium- you really seem to know what your talking about and i love it haha! Can you please answer my question called "can someone please help me?" (i know, kinda lame) in the "getting started" forum?

I think you could help me and i would really, really appreciate it

• The problem with too much cardio is it can be a problem with your muscle growth.  Muscle along with eating 2-3 hrs and drinking plenty of water is what helps keep your body in fat burning mode longer than cardio does.  As was mentioned your body needs somewhat of a rest, I don't know if doing cardio in the morning and then again in the evening is a good idea.  Aside from that, you up your chance for injury.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Oh and yes, I have felt the same as the original question #1.  I think that is an anxious feeling for wanting to see results faster.  Be patient and do the best you can in that moment and then let it go.  This does work, even with just good honest 20 min HIIT. :-)

Spinning, I believe, is a stationary cycling class.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• hey jacium and sharon and aussiebell!

ok, so i get the situp i think....i'm not really doing double cardi...cuz my evening walks dont usually get my heart in any kind of workout zone...maybe 110....

as for the question#1)  i know i am hitting 10, but not feeling it  the next day or two.  That has always been my indicator was my sore muscles the next day...barely being able to sit to go potty cuz my quads were so jacked...I am not feeling that much this time..and i know i am getting max weight cuz sometimes i can barely bust them out and need a spotter....should I be feeling more "burn" the day or two after??  thinking, maybe i'm resting too long in between reps.  havent been religious about the minute rest.

• Aussiebell,

Saw your post there and meant to reply.  Not everyone gets the big bulky muscle effect, nor do you have to.  I was fat and chubby, but  turned out lean and toned, which was in fact my goal - w/muscles that show good definition, are "hard" and strong.  While I have no direct proof, I think this is a healthier approach, and my doctor is happy with my cholesterol nos. (< 100).  I envisioned myself transforming from a teddy bear into a coyote or wolf.  Yes, muscle does burn calories at a higher rate than fat.  But, since you are starting with less fat to lose, and you are losing the fat as you gain muscle, you will still get that effect.  Have your body fat % measured at the start and end of the challenge.  You can calculate your net change:  If you weigh a 100 lbs and have 25% body fat (25 lbs fat) at the start, and end up at 90 lbs, and 10% body fat (9 lbs fat), then you will have lost 16 lbs of fat, and gained 6 lbs of muscle for a net weight change of -10 lbs. (This is only an example)

Jacium