Abs of Steel or a Six Pak

• I been reading a few posts about the desire for many of you (me included) to get those amazing abs to show through like our gramma's washboard. To get "abs of steel" this is done in the gym with resistence training for the ab muscles. Most people who workout regularly and work their abs do have developed ab muscles.....the issue is whether or not they are clearly visible. You can have abs of steel but not six pak. A six pak is only made in the kitchen. The issue is body fat. Once you get your bodyfat low enough your abs will pop through. So....focus on nutrition and clean eating.....that is what will get you those nice visible ab muscles. Hope this helps.....all the best to all of you in your fitness journey.

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• it's all about the 80-10-10 plan. having a great body is 80% nutrition 10% exercise (or some kind of physical activity) and the other 10% is your genes which you have no control over.

You will get your abs to become more  visible if you focus first and foremost on what you are consuming.

If you want to learn more about living lean forever and never having to worry about dieting again.

come visit my blog at:

www.living-lean1.blogspot.com

• mmmmmmmm 6pack =) i so want them =)

• Wow fit4life.  I just read your post and your profile.  Very inspirational.  I am at the end of 8 weeks on my first challenge and starting to see my upper ab muscles.  I've lost 14 pounds and 2 1/4 inches off my waist so far.  Now I'm getting greedy!  I really want to get rid of my "baby belly"  the part below my belly button.  My stomach was once flat in high school, but after 5 pregnancies and 3 kids, I've been wondering if I can ever get that part flat again.  Your story gives me hope. Any other suggestions?  I've been doing crunches 5 days a week and can definitely feel it in my upper abs.

Clare

• Clare: Thanks for the encouraging words. My biggest and most prominent gains occured in weeks 8 through 12 so you have a lot to look forward to in the next 4 weeks. Women who have had children obviously have a harder time then men in in the stomach area but all I can say is be patient. You mentioned you are doing abs 5 times a week but that is really not necessary. I know it seems logical that to do more abs would be a quicker road to a visible 6 pack but it is not so. Treat your abs just like any other body part. IT IS THE DIET THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!! I have proved that myself. If you look at my pics in my profile the ONLY difference between day 1 and day 84 was my diet. I was working out at the gym just as hard in the months before the challenge but my diet was very sloppy with a lot of nightime snacking. Diet.....Diet.....Diet is the key!!!! Even more than cardio. All the best to you in your fitness journey.

• Hi

I also am troubled by a "belly"

Is it a good idea to do more cardio to lose the fat?

Like 2 days of cardio followed by 1 day of wts, .this routine??

• Florabelle,  look at my profile pics.  My abs was way out there.  It's going to take some time and unfortunately, abs are the last area of the body to shape up.  Doing extra really won't do it for your abs.  It's a combination of what you eat and your total body workout (including ab work) that will do it.  Our abs hold the most fat so it's going to take some time.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• A great analogy I read was that a 6 pak is like draining a pool. The shallow end will show through first . Your abs can be likend to the deep end of a pool. The fat is draining away from your body but the ab area will be the last to show through. I've been doing bfl long enough to know that those last few pounds are the hardest to come off. From experience I have learned you will probably have to either increase your cardio or cut your evening carbs. You only need to this when you want to rid yourself of those final 3-5 pounds to have your ab muscles pop through nicely.

• Clare:  Make sure you are doing exercises for LOWER abs as well.  Examples are reverse crunch, leg lifts, scissors.  All over ab toning includes exercises such as bicycle.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• BDMom - thanks for the other ideas.  It's always good to change things up after awhile.  I tried the reverse crunches this morning with my LBWO and they were so hard!  I will definitely add them to my routine and try some of the others you mentioned, too.

Fit4life and Sharon, since being on BFL, I have completely changed my eating habits and the fat is coming off,.  I think it's just a matter of time and dedication, which both of you have demonstrated with outstanding results!  

Clare

• Fit4life -- That transformation is amazing!  Can you tell us what your ab routine was?  At some point, it seems like the 12-10-8-6-12-12 routine would get too easy (if you're not using weights) and have to add more reps.  Is that what you did?

• Molson: Believe it or not I only worked my abs twice a week. I did not do the 12-10-8-6-12-12 all the time. Sometimes I would just pick an excersize and do 3-4 sets of 15 reps. You really don't have to kill your abs to get a six pack...you just have to tighten up your diet to get that layer of bodyfat off your stomach so you can see the ab muscles. Last week I turned 51 and we had a party in our backyard and there is a good shot of me standing by the pool and my abs are showing through nicely. I will post it at my earliest convenience. My point is that I did not work my abs extra.....I just focused on my clean eating and in time they popped through.

• Wow! That's really encouraging!  Thanks for the advice!

I'm just about to finish week one and going strong!  Thanks to your results, I'll make sure to keep an extra careful eye on my diet.  I'm sure your transformation will be a lot of encouragement toward the end of my Challenge.  The change from week 8 to week 12 is astounding!

• Molson: Let's keep in touch. I would like to follow you through your transformation. This is a very hectic weekend but as soon as I get a chance I will post some encouraging pics for you to look at. It will show you that even after 50 you can still look much younger.

• fit4life your transformation has been a great inspiration. While I am still a wee bit shy of 40, seeing what you accomplished has given me a huge boost.

Your after pics are dead center on my motivational poster.