46 minutes????

• I just did my first day of upper body.  I know it's supposed to take 46 minutes but I don't see how that's possible!  How can you complete the workout in 46 minutes while doing the right amount of reps, keeping good form, taking 1 minute break between reps AND doing the reps to the right cadence???  It took me about 1 hour and 25 minutes!  My guess is I'm going way too slow, otherwise there is something wrong.

• Post exactly what you did for your workout today if you will.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Sure, i'll scan a copy of the sheet and post it.

• Here is a copy of my workout sheet.

www.jqhawkins.co.uk/scan0026.pdf

• Unfortunately I can't see that.  

Here is an example.

Chest press

12 x 10 lbs rest 1 min

10 x 12lbs rest 1 min

8 x 15lbs rest 1 min

6 x 20lbs rest 1 min

12 x 15 lbs rest 0

Chest flyes

12 x 15 lbs rest 2 mins before moving to shoulders.

during each lift you want to use the cadence on the lift "I am building" on the negative "my Body for life".

It will take you a couple of weeks to get the timing within reason but it shouldn't be taking you that long unless you are having to rack and unrack weights.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Hi

My upper body w/o took me 50 min. this am,

• Starting out is going to take awhile - especially if you're journaling religiously between sets, getting used to machines, waiting for a station, etc..  Still - 85 minutes seems a bit high.  I'm in my 7th Week and my UBWO this morning took ~55 minutes.  Once you get the hang of it, you'll get faster.  Just be honest with the timing between sets and make sure you hit your 10s.

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

• Do you go through this process 5 times?

Chest press

12 x 10 lbs rest 1 min

10 x 12lbs rest 1 min

8 x 15lbs rest 1 min

6 x 20lbs rest 1 min

12 x 15 lbs rest 0

Chest flyes

12 x 15 lbs rest 2 mins before moving to shoulders

Thanks,

• Do you go through the process five times? No. You do the process for each muscle group. Obviously using different exercises.  For example here is one of my recent upper body workouts:

MACHINE CHEST PRESS

20LBS x12 (rest one minute)

30LBS x10 (rest one minute)

40LBS x8 (rest one minute)

60LBS x6 (No rest wait one minute move immediately to second chest exercise)

30LBS x12 (level 8/9) Second Exercise MACHINE INCLINE PRESS 20LBS x9

(rest one minute)

WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWN

60LBS x12 (rest one minute)

70LBS x10 (rest one minute)

80LBS x8 (rest one minute)

90LBS x6 (rest one minute)

70LBS x12 (No rest move immediately to second back exercise)

Second Exercise REVERSE GRIP PULLDOWN 80LBS x5

(rest one minute)

MACHINE SHOULDER PRESS

10LBS x12 (rest one minute)

20LBS x20 (rest one minute)

30LBS x8 (rest one minute)

40LBS x6 (rest one minute)

20LBS x12 (No rest move immediately to second shoulder exercise)

Second Exercise LATERAL RAISES 8LBS x12

CYBEX ARM CURLS

15LBS x12 (rest one minute)

20LBS x10 (rest one minute)

25LBS x8 (rest one minute)

30LBS x6 (rest one minute)

20LBS x12 (No rest move immediately to second bicep exercise)

Second Exercise CYBEX ARM CURLS HAMMER GRIP 20LBS x3

(rest one minute)

OVERHEAD TRICEP EXTENSION MACHINE

20LBS x12 (rest one minute)

30LBS x10 (rest one minute)

40LBS x8 (rest one minute)

50LBS x6 (rest one minute)

30LBS x12 (No rest move immediately to second tricep exercise)

Second Exercise CABLE EXTENSION PUSHDOWN 40LBS x12

DONE

• No, I don't go through each excessive set 5 times.  For example, for the chest I do 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 and 12 for one exercise and then again for the second exercise.  Mathematically speaking, taking a 1 minute break between sets just doesn't add up to 46 minutes.  Here is why:

-There are 5 separate muscle groups to work and each group contains 2 exercises.  That's a total of 10 exercises.

-There are 6 sets of reps for each one (12, 10....12).  With one minute in between each set except for the last one, that is 5 minutes of rest for each exercise, 10 minutes of rest for each muscle group.  

-So, 10 minutes of rest per muscle group times 5 muscle groups is already 50 minutes.  

-Plus  2 minutes of rest between muscle groups is 60 minutes.

How can you have 60 minutes of rest in a 46 minute workout?  Either I'm clearly missing something or the 1 minute rest thing is not right.  Someone please edumacate me!

• I could be wrong but if I read your post right it sounds to me like you are doing a 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12 for both excersizes for each muscle group.  Is that right?  It is supposed to be like this:

First Muscle Group

Excersize 1= 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 then you switch to your second excersize for the second 12 in that muscle group.

So you get 1 min rest between 12 and 10, 10 and 8, 8 and 6, 6 and 12= 4 min then 2 min between muscle groups

So 4 min during each muscle group= 20min rest + 2min between each muscle group(8min total)= 28min of rest for the whole time your there.  

I hope that makes sense.

KEEP PUSHIN' ON!

• Are you using the Body for Life workout form? You can download it from the 'tools' section on this site. It is under 'library' at the top of the home page. It is quite clear there. I am far from a mathmatition (spelling is not a high point either) but when I add it up there are 28 minutes of rest. For the first four sets there are a total of 6 minutes of rest. 12 reps 1 minute. 10 reps 1 minute. 8 reps. 1 minute. 6 reps. 1 minute 12 reps no rest 12 reps (different exercise) 2 minute rest before next muscle group. total rest = 6 minutes. On the final Musle group there is only four minutes of rest bercause at the end you are done. Total rest = 28 minutes.

Does that make any sense? The workout sheets will help a lot. Also if you don't have the original BFL book by Bill Phillips  I highly recommend it. It is great!

Orrin

• When you download the "Challenge Kit" on page 13 it explains the 12,10,8,6,12,12...and it says to complete this process 5 times for the upper and 4 times for the lower body???....This sounds like you would have to go through the whole workout 5 times...........

• sam0617,

The 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12 is done for each muscle group. There are 5 muscle groups for upper body and 4 muscle groups for lower body.  Upper body and lower body are not done on the same day. Rotate upper body, HIIT cardio, lower body. As I mentioned above if you download the workout sheets it will clarify some of the confusion.

Keep posting if you have more questions. BFL works!!! I would be happy to explain it as best I can at least how I have come to understand it.

Orrin

• Yes, I am doing 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12 for both exercises.  I guess that explains it!  ROFL  So, basically, I was doing doing twice as much as I needed to do.  That explains why it took me twice as long.