i don't understand

• I'm ready to give up and I don't want to, but I am finishing week 11 in my first challenge and have lost a total of 6 lbs and a little less than 2 % body fat.  I have started going to the gym twice a day. I do a cycle class in the morning and then the BFL routines in the evening.  Still...no change.  What is going on?  Am I not eating enough?  Eating too much?  I feel better because of the exercise, but I really need to drop this weight.  HELP!!!!!

• Give us some stats to work with...age, height, weight, BF% and a sample of your meal plan.  We'll help you get the answers.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• ok.  I'm 48 and am 5'1".  I currently weigh 176 and have been at that weight for the past 4 weeks.  My BF% is 40.1.  My meal plan is usually as follows:

7:30 am Protein shake - 1 scoop protein, 1/2 banana, cup of milk

10:30 1/2 of a Clif Builder bar

1:00 usually a sandwich on whole grain with turkey or roast beef or chickn

4:00 1/2 Clif bar

7:00 dinner usually chicken, steak or fish with a veggie or salad and either brown rice or baked potatoe.

I always get more water in.

I started doing a cycle class in the mornings and then the regular weights or cardio in the evening with my husband since he is doing the program with me.

• Would you list the caloric info on the cliff bars?

• Hello,

Thanks for the detail but I believe there is a need for more specificity.  For instance, are you using whole milk, reduced fat or skim milk at breakfast.  What protein shake are you drinking, what is is composition of carbs and protein and calories?

For the sandwich and dinner portions, how many grams of  meat are in each meal?  What type of steak?

I am not familiar with CLIF bars but I use the 1/2 myoplex lite bars for snack which yields 95 calories per snack.

Again portions are a big deal and we cannot tell how large your portions are in your description.

Please refer  to www.hussman.org for a GREAT write up on nutrition.

• No disrespect here Todd4au but... 

There should be six equally portioned meals per day.  Not 3 meals and 3 snacks.  That seems to be a bit of misconception lately.  

You eat a meal with a protein the size of your palm and the thickness of a deck of carbs along with a fist size portion of carbs at each of the six meals along with AT LEAST two servings of veggies per day.

It's essential to boosting your metabolism that all of the meals be pretty close to the same size and equal carbs and protein.  

You want those meals 2.5-3 hours apart.

• Marchwrs-You asked if you were eating enough...BFL is six meal per day, looks like you are not getting that 6th meal in before bed. On the Clif bars, does one bar have roughly 40g protein/40g carbs? If you are not able to measure portions with the palm/fist method as stated previously, you need to read your labels. (Bars IMO, should be used in emergencies only...)

I typically tell women who ask me, to gear for 20g protein/20g carbs PER meal to make sure they get enough calories in. If you are not fueling the body the right way with the exercise you are doing, the metabolism slows down and saves up fat stores...maybe your extra cycling is using up all your reserves...in this case, if there is not food there for energy consumption, the body will start "eating" the muscle for fuel. Does this make sense?

So feed your body the right way and I'm sure you will see some more changes! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• the clif bar is 270 calories - 30g of carbs, 20g of protein.  I do half because they are so high in calories.  I use skim milk with the EAS myoplex.  DebbieMO and Champster09 - I have looked at your pics and you both look awesome.  I want to look back on mine some day and say the same, but it's hard.  I have one week left on my first challenge and all I can say is "only" 6 lbs vs. I'm 6 less than I was.  I don't want to quit this, but I am sooooo frustrated.  I really thought this would work.  No gimmicks, just hard work and dedication.  I have never gone to the gym this consistently.  It would just be nice to see some reward for the hard work.  Thank you for responding.

• The clif bars have 270 calories.  30g carbs, 20g protein, that's why I do half.  I have a hard time with the pure protein bars.  I use skim milk with the EAS whey.

DebbieMO and Champster09 - I looked at both your pics a few weeks ago and you both look awesome.  It was inspiring.  But, here I am at week 11 and only down 6 lbs.  I know 6 is better than none, but I have never worked so hard and so consistently before.  I really thought this would work for me - no gimmicks, no quick fix - just hard work and good nutrition...yet not the results I expected.

I appreciate your help and input.

• I'd try and move away from the bars if possible and switch to real food like LF cottage  cheese and an apple or a packet of tuna and an apple.   And be sure to get all six meals in.  It's very important to feed your metabolism in 3 hour intervals so it starts revving up.

Be patient, it took me a long time to get where I am because I didn't realize at the onset how much of an emotional eater I used to be.  

It took me two years to gain 150lbs and 10 years to lose it.  

What are you going to do in the mean time if it's not this?  You've got nothing to lose but unwanted fat and unhealthy habits.

I will say that you should be sure you are taking measurements and keeping an eye on how your clothes fit.

Keep free day in check.  Enjoy what you want, but don't go eating a whole big pizza or anything like that.

If Deb and I can do this, so can you!!

• Also, I do all of my workouts in the mornings first thing on an empty stomach...I know that it has helped in the calorie burning/fat burning.

I have switched up my meals in the mornings based on what exercise I'm doing. After a wt. workout, I have a Myoplex (protein) shake within 30 min. of working out. On cardio days, I wait one hr. then have oatmeal and eggs.

You said you do your normal workouts with your husband in the evenings...what if you switched it up and did this last week or so in the mornings on an empty stomach. Kind of like a test run. Find out what is going to make this work for you. Like Michelle said, What do you have to lose besides unwanted fat!

Keep on going!! You CAN do this!! =)

Thanks on the pics comment btw!

• no one seems to talk about this on these boards but if you are religiously following your WOE and are exercising and are absolutely NOT losing weight then I think there is something medically wrong. Its usually hypothyroidism, PCOS, or insulin resistance.  There ARE those of us who cannot lose weight despite diet and exercise due to these conditions.

• Thanks DebbieMO and Champster.  I will keep going.  I really feel like there is no choice.  It probably is the food more than anything.  I will try to do some revamping and let you know how it's going.  Is that ok?  I feel like I have you two cheering me on which is great!

Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

• Yes, that is totally okay! Do look at your food intake as 80% of your results are based on nutrition alone!

We will be your cheerleaders even though I don't have a cheerleading bone in my body! lol!

Have a great day! =)

• marchwrs absolutely!  Keep a detailed food journal so we can help you in any way we can.

llpirata you are absolutely correct, however we are not medical personel and can only give advice about what we know.   I would absolutely expect someone to see their medical doctor and I certainly would not be willing to advise anyone of a medical condition or a solution to their problem as being medically related.