Biking to work everyday - Should I count it as my Cardio?

• I was talking to a friend of mine and explained that I bike to work nearly everyday, even on cardio days. I originally wanted to count this as my cardio, but he stated that it's really a maintaining exercise and that I should still do a cardio so as to stick to the actual work out plan.

What do you guys think? I bike 2 miles each way, so four miles a day and it's a tough ride, gets my muscles really pumping and my heartrate going.

• The thing to keep in mind is that it really doesn't take that long to go two miles on a bike so are you truly getting 20 minutes of hard riding in the seat?   Also are there lots of hills along the ride?  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I think that is fantasic that you are biking to work!  I too love to bike to work when I can.  I don't think that you should consider that your cardio for this plan though.  You need to do the HIIT 20 minute workouts, you should be dripping with sweat when your finished.  I doubt that the 2 mile bike ride takes 20 minutes and makes you sweat that much.  

Like I said it's great that you are riding to work but maybe on your way home you can map out a 4 mile ride and really hit those 9's and 10's.

Rachel

• Since my original post I've bought an eliptical and I use that in the mornings for my cardio workouts. I can adjust the resistance and get myself into the highpoints the way I need to.

I still ride because it's a great activity and it reduces my carbon footprint. The ride itself is a workout. While it may be only two miles, it's an up and down, pump your legs and get your heart pumping, dripping with sweat when I'm done, activity. However, as both the posters above has stated it's not a "highpoint" or BFL type of workout, which is why I use the eliptical and then ride. :)

Thanks for posting, Michelle and Rachel.

• Any thing that gets your heart pumping is good to do for sure so certainly don't take the biking out.  If people where I live were more bike friendly I'd ride to work too!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I used to ride faithfully for an hour every day, aerobice 3x a week and then some. Question I had to ask myself after a year of no results was "how is all that time spent working for me!" - It wasnt.

HIIT and strength BFL style is the way to go.

I still bike to work every day I can - I come home for dinner too, so it is a 8km extra for me those days. I also now rollerblade an hour each day I can cause its so darn fun learning new skills! But these do not replace BFL - they do help with endurance, but not extra strength or lean muscle - just help maintain in my opinion.

• Reposting, so that it's clear.

Thank you all for the great advice, and in doing a reassessment of my goal and my determination I still ride every day (that I can) but on aerobic days I hit the eliptical.

I tell myself, the only person I'm fooling or cheating is me.