Question about Cardio Heart Rate

• When I did my cardio this a.m., I really pushed and my heart rate got to 160!  My max heart rate for age is 161.  So I don't want to keel over and lowered the intensity.  Here's my question:  although I am older, I'm really healthy, no meds, etc..but if I keep training like this (I'm C1W8 and will continue to C2) will my max heart rate always stay the same?  How does that work?  The high rate this a.m. was when I did 5.0 mph on flat tread with a jog....I really think I should be able to do that consistently, especially in C2, so will my heart adjust as I get fitter and that will naturally come down?

Thanks! 

Tammy - Atlanta

You Get What You Give -'... if you feel your dream is dying...hold on tight...you've got the music in you...you only get what you give.'  (New Radicals)

• Yep, I think you got it Tammy, as your body learns to be more effective with exercise your heart and lungs will not need to work as hard as they once did.  So the same intensity of exercise that caused a 160 beats per minute in the past can be done at a lower bpm in the future.  Also as you lose weight you are running/climbing with less weight thus your body is not working as hard as it once was at the same speed.

• Hey, thanks James.  I can't wait to see how that improvement goes as I move forward.  Just another 'feel good' thing to keep track of (gettin a little tired of looking at my body)!

Tammy - Atlanta

You Get What You Give -'... if you feel your dream is dying...hold on tight...you've got the music in you...you only get what you give.'  (New Radicals)