Hit your HIGH POINT, HOW? - THELLEM

• Okay, so, you read about creating a high point in your work outs, on the job, in life ... (Body for Life by Bill Phillips)

So, what is a high point?

How does it work?

Well, for me, at least, and for what it is worth, this is what I discovered.

It happened to be UBWO, Dumbbell bench press (Chest).

This was about three weeks ago.

I am at 60# dumb bells, it's 4th set for 6 reps. I pushed out about 12 to failure.

So, I note an "I" in the intensity column for "increase".

Next UBWO comes around, and I decided to grab 65#er's for 4th set dumb bell bench press.

I finish 3rd set, put those dumbbells aways, go to grab the 65# ones, and, some one is tying them up.

My 60 sec rest is up.

I need to move now.

I grab the 70#er's. 4th rep was hard, so I eeked a 5th rep. I thought for sure six would fail.

I pushed the 6th rep up, giving it my all, and I got it up! I felt a total rush!

Then pushed a 7th, and 8th failed half way.

I jumped up in disbelief. That was AMAZING! That is a HIGHPOINT. 

So, to create an opportunity for a highpoint, I up the 4th set, six reps to a weight that I fail on 4th or 5th rep.

This sets me up for a HIGHPOINT opportunity for the next UBWO.

I am currently experimenting with this theory on all upper and lower body work outs.

I am currently on 75# dumbbells for dumbbell bench press, and pushing to hit 80#er's next week - which is my week 7.

This seems to be working for me, at the moment - until I plateau, then I will change it up.

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry

• Sounds like a plan!! i feel kind of wimpy.. I do free weights dumbells and I bench oh 20 lbs??? hmmph.. It sounds like youve got a handle on the high point concept.. thats whats nice I think is the high point changes every now and again and offers a way to challenge your bidy so as not to hit a plateau and also to keep rebuilding.. keep up the great work!!!!!!

LIFE IS ONLY 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU AND 90% HOW YOU REACT TO IT

• That's interesting, good job!  I'm wondering though -- I thought the high point was supposed to come at some point during your last two sets (e.g. the 12 same 12 different exercise superset)?   Or does it not matter when you get to your high point?  

I'm going to try your strategy today for my LBWO.  Thanks!

• Hi, Lindsay -

The 4th set is the heaviest set for the muscle group - which makes it my target. When failure requires 8 or more reps for the 4th set - I up the weight.

The last 5th and 6th sets are lighter weights ( about 20#'s less for me) that I push to failure. When failure requires 15 plus reps, I up the weight.

Theoretically, a highpoint can occur on any of the sets.

For me, the first three sets are warm up and build up for the big push of 4th set - my targeted highpoint.

The last two sets (5th and 6th set) I push to failure for the extra muscle tear - setting me up to be stronger for the next work out, which I do for each muscle group.

I find I am able to up the weights every 3rd to 4th upper and lower body work out.

My goal for upper body is to be well over 100# dumbbells for chest presses by the end of the challenge.

Now, for a guy trying to sculpt out his chest, shoulders, biceps, and to increase strength  - this makes sense.

For a woman or man, it makes sense, once you reach the muscle size you wish, to start sculpting.

Which focuses on burning fat, and maintaining muscle mass - for definition.

My next 6 weeks, which starts today (C1W7D1), is focused on burning fat, sculpting for definition.

This post is not intended to work for everyone. It is just what is working for me.

It can be interpreted as a starting point for others to ask questions, start experimenting  - to start your own path of discovery of WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry