workout videos?

• Question:

Does anyone try workout videos for weight training? I have seen and heard of a few that use circuit training to fatigue. Just wanted some opinions. As far as they go for cardio, I do some on my weigh days for some intermediate cardio and some of them are super tough. There are a some that I feeli like I could use for HIIT because by the time I'm done, I'm totally wiped out! Just trying to shake it up a bit.

Opinions? Suggestions?

-Katiebug

"The joy of the life is the fruit of discipline"

-S. Randall

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• hmmm. I am trying to imagine how videos could replicate HIIT and I am at a loss.  They are good for getting up and moving around.  Do the videos require a gradual increase in intensity every minute or so (5 6 7 8 9, 6 7 8 9, .....)culminating in an all out focused effort?

Being totally "wiped out" at the end of a workout can result from both HIIT and longer steady state cardio.  HIIT supposedly creates a different metabolism change in your body, causing the calorie burn to be increased for a period of time after your workout is over.

I am doubtful that HIIT is being achieved, BUT, if these videos help keep you engaged and you use them in addition to proper HIIT then keep with them.  They are probably a lot more fun than HIIT on a treadmill/elliptical/whatever machine.

So many folks thing that BFL eating is the most important thing, I tend to agree.  The kind of resistance/cardio training you do will impact how your body then treats the fuel you feed it.

If using videos keeps you active and sweating and you use them in lieu of the BFL plan, then you are doing great.  You aren't doing BFL proper, but you are still doing great things for your body.

• Thanks- great advice!

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• I think you can experience some semblance of HIIT with billy blanks' ultimate tae bo bootcamp or versions like that.  It's longer than 20 minutes but it is SERIOUS!  

As for strength training, I think the Jari Love "Get ripped" series is similar in that it's high rep.  

• I like Cathe Freidrichs Upper Body Pyramid workout. She has many good weight training dvds. Cathe.com. Melissa