weights at home

• I will begin the challenge for the second time on Monday.  I put my gym membership on hold because I do not enjoy going over there anymore - too many kids & pricy.

I would like to do my weights at home.  What are the essentials I need to be able to do this?  I have a bench, a ball, straps, 6 & 10 lb weights, an 18 lb bar.  I can go to Academy to purchase some other things but only want what I absolutelty need.

I do not have any trouble with the cardio - I walk miles, ride my bike and swim though I don't get my heart rate up enough.  I got a new hip a year ago so not supposed to do anything that causes impact.  I love to cross finish lines so still am doing trathlons, and long races - power walking.

I need to lose 20 lbs.

Thanks
    Mary C (lucci 63)

• What I recommend for people wanting to workout at home is a set of Powerblocks.  They seem pricey but they are so worth it and take up nearly no room.  They're adjustable dumbbells that you can use for pretty much any exercise you'll need in the program.  I did a challenge a few years back solely with Powerblocks.  Good luck!

-Mike

• As you are a woman, I do not see why you would need to buy powerblocks...even though I want to...lol.  I see you getting 15 and 20lb dumbbell sets and maybe some heavier bands and you are all set.  Less money spent and still get great results.  

The smallest of powerblocks are 50lb sets and cost close to $300 - $400 unless you can fid them cheap at yard sales or ebay....not so mush on craigslist.  You can then use the savings and put it towards eating clean for 12 weeks!!

Sorry Mike, this is one time I can not support your thoughts on a subject.  I know it cuts down on space being used, but I bought 3-40lb sets for less than $100.  Just had to find space to put them which was easier to do than I thought...lol  You can find them cheap if you shop around.

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• we cant use the fireplace, so it makes a good weight station.....lol

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• I have been working out at home since 2008.  I started with a set of 5 to 25# dumbbells.  These are safest when working out alone.  I also bought a gold's gym bench with barbell rack but immediately sold it (didn't plan to use it for safety, again).  The bench adjusts to about 30 degrees below horizontal to 80 degrees and includes leg extension/preacher's curl.  Additionally, I have an 8# medicine ball for core work (ab ripper/p90x).  I have been adding weights as I build strength.  The entire cost is well under the cost of the gym and I am in the best shape of my life.  I take up about an 8 x 10 ft space in my rec room. Hope that helps.

• Wow - thanks to all of you - really helpful.  I did my first upper body workout just now w/ equipment I already have

I don't feel like I've done much but I am sure as I increase weight, it will get more challenging.

• Actually Squid, I believe they make Powerblocks for women, called Sportsblocks and adjust 3-24 pounds.

• Now I need to look into that...lol...thanks

• I recently purchased some power blocks up to 90lbs. They are great for working out at home. Much safer than barbells if you're alone. My question is abouit the cardio. No matter what shoes I purchase I always seem to develop shin splints. Has anyone tried bodyweight cardio for the HIIT days???

• I love my power blocks. They are expensive but I found a 50 pound set on Craigslist for $70. Had to drive about 45 minutes to get them but totally worth it. I use them everyday a love them. Worth looking into.

• That is awesome...I am still looking for a buy like that...

• Uhmmm I'm new to BFL - but I have been working out with weights for the past two years - Why do women need "special" Powerblocks? I'm female and have a set of Powerblocks that goes up to 50lbs each - and I use every one of them - might have to switch to doin barbell deadlifts soon as the 50lbs Powerblocks are getting easier....

• Kbyannie - you don't need "special" powerblocks!  Women need to hit their 10's just like men, by lifting heavy weights and pushing their limits!  Great point!

• I have Select Tech dumbbells by Bowflex.  My set goes up to 70 lbs. each.  I also have adjustable Soloflex dumbbells that max at 60 lbs. each. I also use a Soloflex flat bench.

For Cardio I use a Schwinn Airdyne.

"Hypochondriacs are their own terrorists."  Saul Bellow