Cardio and Weights on the Same Day

• Is there harm in this? Always do cardio first, when I do both the same day. I take about a ten minute break and then lift.
  • Most experts will advise against doing cardio first.  Why use up all your strength doing cardio and then expect to do any serious weight training?  You're too pooped to do the serious stuff.  

Others will say that you can use the cardio to warm up your body and get it primed to lift weights.

Me - I go with the first one, cause when I do cardio(tue, thur, sat) I really put my body to work and sweat my ass off to the point of not wanting to lift myself up off the floor after stretching.  There is no way I can lift anything.

Now, on that note, I do however, do workout twice a day on my weight training days(mon, wed, fri).  I do weights in the mornings and cardio of some kind in the late afternoons - early eveings.  That seems to work better for me.

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• Thanks for the advice. I find that I'm just the opposite. When I lift first, it seems that I have spent so much energy lifting that any attempt at serious cardio with an elevated heart rate, is futile. I just poop out way too soon. As for the twice a day advice. I can get with that. I just try to follow the advice in the book of working out first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, in order to maximize fat loss.

• Its awesome that you are maxing out your weightlifting enough to be too burnt for cardio! But its best to feel that way after cardio too. Do you have a hard time making it to the gym every morning? I have had to double workouts for that reason to mae sure I didn't miss any. I think its better to do cardio early so you burn through the stored energy, and do weights later with a break in between....just because the cardio helps burn the fat and the weightlifting helps build muscle. I find it easier to do weights when I have eaten already.