EXERCISE IN THE POOL?

• How many of you use the pool as an exercise tool?  Over the last few yrs I have found ways to get a workout in without swimming.  For one thing i sink like a rock....lol.  I can tread water for a long time, but not a great swimmer!!

If you do not own Aqua fittness gear, use the big noodles.  You might not get all your muscles, but you will get an awesome workout in before you leave the pool.

For triceps - I will either grab a small - medium size inflatable ball or a big noodle.  With the ball(small) I do single arm tricep pushdowns about 50-100 per arm.  With the noodle, put your hands in place to break it up into 3rds.  Do, depending on resistance, about 25 - 50 overhand pushdowns, then switch to underhand pulldowns(OUCH!)

For Biceps -  just cup yur hands and do alternating curls to failure.

For Quads - Get into the deeper end and grab the side of the pool.  Put the noodle, with bent knees, on the tops of your feet so that you will kick your feet towards the wall of the pool.  Do 3 sets to failure with 1min rest between sets.  Also you can put the noodle on the bottoms of your feet and (kinda like squats) do 3 sets of pushdowns to failure with 1min rest between sets.

For shoulders, chest and back  - Either sit on 1 or 2 noodles, which ever feels more comfortable to you.  Start at one end of the pool and like doing flys, cup your hands towards you and go backwards.  Once you reach the other end, cup your hands away from you and go forwards.  Try and do as many laps as your body will let you. 

For abs -  put the noodle under your arm pits and pulling your knees to alternating elbows to failure then do straight leg lifts to the top of the water to failure.

This might not be the most intense workout, but it will be a workout just the same!! 

See what other ways besides swimming you can workout in the pool with what you have. I would love to see other ideas!!

Squid 

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• I think 20 minutes of swimming for your aerobic day is great.  If you can tread water for a long time, you do that while you move forward.  Or, you can take lessons.  I am planning to do this for my aerobic days.

You will not be building muscle with these water exercises so it is not a substitute for your weight training days. ....especially if you are doing 50 reps.  Weight training is done with weights.  You will not be gaining muscle with this water training.  

• And no where in there did I say you would build muscle.  I do know you can get a great burn from it and it will help lean you out.  Try it before you cut it down.  

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• Hey, don't get defensive.  :-)   I'm not cutting it down.  And I am trying it...I plan to swim on 2 of my 3 aerobic days each week.  I researched on the web and some people think they can bulk from swimming and it appears to not be the case.  The way you were describing sets of working on arms, etc and working each muscle group, I got the impression (and I think other readers may also) that you were suggesting this on the muscle building days.  No where did you say you were doing this on your aerobic days.  I was just trying to help and contribute to these boards.  Since I posted a question and was seeking help, I thought I would go thru questions and see if I can help others.  

BTW, I learned how to swim when I was 18, so it is never too late.  I was very skinny then, weighing 145lbs, and I could say the same about sinking like a rock.  This is just an excuse that non-swimmers use.  That was an excuse I used.  You appear to like the water and your site name is Squid.  When I was a nonswimmer at 18, I really didn't think it was possible for me to learn.  My college required me to pass a swim test so I had to take the swim course.   Some of the lessons seemed stupid and I didn't think I was even making progress, but in the end, I could swim.  And I am so glad I learned because it is something that will be with me for my entire life.  You can take lessons and if you are short on cash, you can watch some swim lessons on youtube and ask someone for help at the pool you go.  BFL is about taking on goals and proving you can do anything; why not take on swimming? I will guarantee you will not regret it and you will be thanking me. Good Luck

• Squid is what I was called by Marines.  In truth, I was a Sqrunt. Half Squid Half Grunt!!...lol. I swim well enough to save my life..lol.  Sorry if I got defensive, it just sounded like you were cutting it down.  My resistance workouts are in the mornings and I do all sorts of Cardio in the early evening with my girlfriend since she does not like to follow a routine..lol.