Training for a half marathon

• Hi, I've been following a BFL lifestyle for over 2 years. I want to train for a half marathon for next year. Anyone incorporate long runs and have good success? I am not sure how to structure my training and simultaneously continue my results...I know the HIIT method is the best for muscle mass but wondering if there are suggestions for tweaking ...any thoughts?

• I am just starting to train for a half marathon AND just started BFL (have done lots of 1/2's before though). The plan is pretty close to many of the nutritional plans for runners so you should do great. The only thing I would do differently is to consider eating something an hour or two before a long run (rather than doing cardio on an empty stomach) or you will run out of gas. Runs shorter than an hour are fine to do on empty in my experience but over an hour and you need to put something in the tank.

-Sharon

• I'm just starting to plan but I've just completed my 11th half marathon yesterday and I've never been one for eating before any of my runs and I've done just fine but I've recently started eating some peanut butter or even half of a bagle before I run over 10 miles just because that's what everyone says I should do.  I can honestly say I can't tell the difference.

• You can do BFL style.  You just can't do BFL while also training for distance running.  The nutritional and training needs of a distance runner are different.  The training is obvious.  Nutritionally, typically runners need more carbs, and have meals that aren't equally portioned.  By that I mean that some meals are carb heavy.  Sometimes a runner should really up their protein and down their carb, like pre-race.  I know that's against popular theory, with the pasta dinner and all, but actually, it's true.  :)  

Anyway, also a runner wants to consider things like adding more beef, and that's because running depletes iron.  I really have no idea why, just that it's true.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I think you could continue the BFL weight workouts but you would need to replace with BFL cardio with tempo runs, easy runs, pace runs, etc. For my first half marathon I followed a Hal Higdon program (I think the intermediate one) and would do my runs every morning, then do weights on easy run or cross-train days. You can easily build a running schedule around the BFL workouts, though I would also say if your body needs a day off to rest, don't be afraid to skip a run or a weight day.

And Jessica is right, the nutritional need of a runner is different, though if you are still doing BFL weight workouts your protein needs aren't likely to change. You may need to adjust your carb intake however, and eating more fresh vegetables is also an option as they provide good micronutrients, potassium, vitamins, alkaline, etc for your system which can also help with recovery.