Sick after HITT

• I'm starting week three and am finding that when I run for my cardio sessions I consistently feel nauseated immediately after. I teach cycling classes and have incorporated the HITT method into the class but have yet to experience the nausea post-work out. Anyone else have this experience with the cardio interval training or have advice?

• I can tell you that, whenever I jog/run for my cardio, I feel sick afterward, too.  I push harder when I am running, and I think that plays in.  I think it's because there are certain exercises that have a certain momentum of their own that forces us to follow through, and when you are running, it's difficult to just stop, so we keep propelling forward.  I used to feel it after all my HiiTs back years ago, but then I learned that I was actually pushing TOO hard.  I would feel sick, have to lie down, and then be "bonked" for the rest of the day.  I have dialed it back a bit, and have almost no trouble with it anymore.  I know that if I don't get enough or proper nutrition (i.e., don't eat enough or the right things to get enough nutrients) it can still happen.  In fact, I can't do it first thing on an empty stomach because of that.

As a side note, nausea with certain types of exertion could be a sign of an underlying medical condition, so it's important to get a check up and make absolutely sure there is nothing else going on.  We definitely have to push ourselves to improve, but some of us push harder and have a lower perceived exertion than others, and it can cause us to overdo.  I started by dialing back my 10 to my 9, and that was usually enough to keep it from happening.  Good luck!

• OH, and water, water, water!!!  Must stay hydrated!

• Are you eating before?

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Nausea after working out can be a sign of either dehydration, eating to much beforehand or consuming hard to digest food. (I feel nausea if I have dairy products before working out). On the flip side, eating to little can trigger low blood sugar.

Lastly and most importantly, it can also be a sign of overexertion, increase your intensity slowly and pace yourself. Avoid making drastic changes and instead alter your intensity level incrementally.

If you continue to experience nausea for more than a week consult a physician.