Is the BFL program for me?

• Hey guys, - awkward intro - I'm 19 years old and have been going on and off to gym for probably 2 and a half years and just haven't seen the growth i would have liked, i'd been working two jobs ( as an apprentice electrician all day, and waiter at night ) for the last 3 and a bit months which had a serious toll on my health as i was finding it hard to make time to eat as i was constantly on the go from one job to the other. And would often be too tired to eat dinner when i got home at 930, so i'd just have a shwoer and go to bed  as i would have to be up at 5 to start the next morning. At this time too, as i was working such long hour weeks, i neglected gym and as a result lost 4.3kg (i think that's around like 9-10lbs) which is a fair bit for someone that doesn't have a whole lot of size to lose to begin with. So i recently quit my waiter and am loooking to finally get serious about gymming.

My mums friend just recently lent me the BFL book once she heard  i was serious about changing the shape of my body, however i'm not so much interested in losing weight, which it seems like majority of the BFL market is aimed at. I'm looking at gaining size and muscle mass. I was just wondering if the training program, which trains all the big muscle groups in the one session is the optimal way to gain size or if that's the just the best way to lose excess kilos. Or if the conventional, smash chest + tris for a session one day, then train back and bi's the next, shoulders and abs, legs, etc.

Was also curious on the cardio aspect, as a lot of the people that i know who are into body building are extremely against it, saying that their weight training is of that high an intensity it doubles up as cardio and that straight cardio is terrible for gym 'gains'. Just any opinions would be helpful, thank you :)

• BFL weight training doesn't train "all the big muscle groups in one session".  You alternate upper body workouts and lower body workouts with cardio in between.  The cardio is only 20 minutes of HIIT.  

I'm surprised someone hasn't answered you about gaining size/muscle mass.  I believe you do everything the same except double the carbs.  Can anyone out there confirm that (I don't have my book handy right now)?

Laurie, 2010 Body-for-Life Champion 46+

Never underestimate your power to change.

• But i mean, you train, chest, back, shoulders in one upper body session, where as far as i've learnt and done previously, you do one whole training session on just chest, one whole session on just shoulders, one on back, etc etc.

But surely to gain size instead of lose fat the training program would have to be different? But yeah, i understand that diet is very important, no matter what you're trying to achieve, thanks a lot for your help and time :)

• What do you have to loose?  You've already done what you have and know how it works for you.  Try this program and see what happens.  My guess with the right monitoring, nutritional adjustments and intense workouts that you would achieve your goals.

• Greetings AndyH,   I concur with jamesorlandogarcia and the rest,  Try it you'll like it, but remember it is a challenge and no challenge is truly easy OR  it wouldn't be a challenge would it.  ANy thing worth having is definately worth working for!!  Follow the book, eat clean, try some of the supplements if you can and drink lots of water (get as much rest at night as you can, give up a show or game for those nights and do them on your free day). Oh, and don't forget Free day as well.  Keep Moving FOrward!!! and WELCOME to the BFL Team/Forum!!

• Andy- YES... body for life is for you.

Checkout www.hessmanfitness.org if you're serious about reading some information on modifying the program to meet different goals.

I used the program by the book in my first challenge, and had great results (but I had some fat to lose).  Now I'm doing another challenge, but I've basically doubled the diet (I shoot for 1g of Carbs and 1g of Protein per pound of body weight). 

Hessman hits on how some champions have decreased the cardio to meet their size building goals.  I've done that in my second session as well.  I'm really only doing 1 session of cardio per week.  When you do cardio, make sure it is the High-Intensity-Interval-Training outlined in the book!  This is a very efficient way to work the heart and lungs, keep you in great shape, and doesn't destroy your glycogen reserves the way a long, slower cardio session does (which is the type of cardio session your body building friends are telling you to avoid).

Good luck- remember whether your goals are to gain or lose weight, the results come in the kitchen far more than in the gym (80% diet, 20% workout).  The biggest mistake I've made through years of being a gym rat is focusing on the gym over the kitchen.  EAT a lot, and EAT right!