Injury question...

• Hello all!  Hope all is going well with you all!

I am starting week 9 of my 12 week "Body For Life" program.  About a week and a half ago I injured a tendon in my right forearm.  I can do every gym workout except for bicep curls in my right arm.  I did attempt lesser weight last week but I slightly reinjured it.  Things have been going great for me, down to 166 from 191 in 8 weeks, added some decent muscle, and I feel great.  My question is...What is the best way for me to proceed?  I hate to have this injury kill my program.  Can I try some curls with a light resistance band?  I don't want to lose any muscle if I have to shut down the weights for a few weeks.  I am a 46 y/o male. I expect that a tendon issue isn't uncommon in a guy my age.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

• Mike, congrats on making a change!  I will tell you from my experience I too have had similar injuries and when they happen I either go very light or try a different exercise that may not put stress on the area.  In all honesty though, don't be scared to walk away from that muscle group for now.  Continue to focus on those other exercises you do and stick to your hiit and nutritional program.  The rest will help heal and the nutrition will help heal it faster.  Also, its not impossible to still see fat loss by just missing a few reps. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will burn fat.   Best of luck and keep us posted with your progress!

• Thank you Flatliner.  I will mention that last night, which was my regularly scheduled upper body night, I worked out every other muscle group as I normally do.  For my right bicep curls I prepped with some Ibuprofen and did some light curls in a slow controlled fashion with a resistance band.  I did this solely to "rehab" the injury.  No pain last night and none today so I'm happy with that.  I will do the same for two more weeks to make sure the injury fully heals before I slowly start ramping up again with dumbells.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the positive comments and support.

• Mike,

Am I understanding you correct?  You can do all the exercises except bicep curls?  If this is a case I would stay away from it for a few weeks until your body can heal.  Give it just a little bit of time and then start with much lighter weight then you are using now.  You really don't want to injure it further by pushing it.

Just my .02

Brian

www.starttransforming.com

• bwillieilv -

I can do everything with the exception of just the "right" arm bicep curl.  No real pain anywhere else for any other workout.  It's what I believe to be an outer tendon issue from either my right ring or middle finger to my elbow.  Any push upwards with much resistance causes pain. As stated, I did work it out with a light resistance band last night without pain in a nice, slow, controlled motion just to exercise/rehab it.  I've had the pain for a few weeks at least now but today is the best it has felt in some time.  I will definitely be very cautious for another couple of weeks.  Thanks bwillielv!

• It's not uncommon for weight lilfters to develop tennis elbow.  I found that an ACE bandage for my elbow helped, with reduced weight loadings.  The injury cleared up after a few months.  I'm still lifting two years later- but my age I always am on looking out for the next joint issue...

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Congrats on making it this far in your challenge! I am no doctor (I just play one on facebook) ;).However, I am a Massage Therapist so this makes sense to me... I would say give your forearms 2 days of rest and then proceed. You are almost to the finish line and you are NOT letting this derail you, baby! :D Oh, and ice ice ice! Alternate ice with heat when you are at rest. It has been long enough since you injured it so heat should be tolerated well. Hope that helps? Hang in there! :D

• You can still get great results even if you have to back off the biceps curls.  Biceps are a pretty small muscle group compared to the bigger groups you can still work (legs, chest, etc.), so it's more important to make sure you don't make your injury worse by trying to work through it for a short term goal.  Think long term.