Working out while sick?

• I am in need of some advice, so hopefully someone out there can help me.

I came down with a bad cold last week and it doesn't seem to be getting much better. Unfortunately, I didn't go to the gym at all last week (hoping that rest would help me heal faster), and really don't want to have to stay away this week either.

Is it better to continue resting or should I try to attempt at least my weightlifting sessions this upcoming week?  I have a sinus infection and a slight chest cold, so I don't think I'll be doing my HIIT cardio unless I start to feel much, much better. I feel like if I don't go workout this week, I'll be messing up my plan. Two weeks out of 12 with no gym! This is when I'm supposed to really start noticing results!

I only have M-W this week to make it to the gym, so if possible, I might do all three of my weight days in a row to get them in. I'll be out of town without access to a gym the rest of the week.

Please let me know what you'd recommend for working out while ill.  What do you generally do?

• Hi Laura,

Obviously only you know how you feel.  Personally, unless I've got a fever, I'll go to the gym.  It usually actually makes me feel better.  Please be respectful to other members and carefully wipe down anything you touch, but go workout.  Your 10 is your 10 and that shifts from day to day so it doesn't matter if it's as strong as 3 weeks ago, just that you hit your personal 10 in that session. 

Feel Better

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Thanks Jessica!  I think I'm going to attempt it in the morning; I'm feeling much better now than I did only a few hours ago so maybe I'm finally on the mend.

Good reminder about wiping down equipment. I always do anyway (plus, I never cough into my hands, only the crook of my elbow), but I will be especially diligent about it while I'm sick. I'd hate to pass this on to someone else at the gym.

• I'm with Jessica, I've done the same... something I would not have done a long time ago, but boy I wish I would've figured it out sooner.  Keep hydrated and don't overheat.  I actually kicked a cold quicker than before, maybe the high fluid sweat with high water intake flushed it out quicker...?  I'm becoming a quack dr. lol