HIIT When Sick?

• Happy Tuesday, everyone! I am on Day 16 and  (all things considered) am feeling pretty happy with how strong I FEEL every day (might not look it yet!). 

However, I've been working hard at my job and have come down with some kind of throat/cold virus.  I feel "rundown" in general today which is unusual for me. I don't want to compromise my progress or health. I know there is lots of debate and thought that cardio can be immune-building. Generally, I run for my HIIT, but my body feels awfully weak right now and sleep is calling my name it seems. 

What are everyone's thoughts on exercising during sickness? 

• In a case such as this, I opt to do my workout.  It makes me feel physically better and more importantly, is pride building to do it under such circumstance.  Your 10 will likely not be as good as when you are well, but that is perfectly okay.  Your 10 is your 10 for that day, that moment. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Thanks, Jessica. That's a very valid point. I forget how genius the idea that a "10" is relative based on each day. :)

• I am happy to report that I just returned from a HIIT workout. By the middle I had to take a 3 minute walking interval when I got rather dizzy and feverish, but really pushed it the second half and still managed to run over 2 miles in 20 minutes!

It REALLY does feel good to stay committed no matter what. After all, it is only 20 minutes, but 20 minutes changes the WHOLE day.

• Way to go,  I have worked out on cardio when not fully well and have managed to help beat the cold/virus that way with proper rest and nutrition as soon as you can following the workout. It does help you to stay more committed to the goal. You may have to settle for less than 10 but that is still better than a zero for the day, Keep Moving Forward!

• I was taught that you can exercise if you are sick from the neck down, do not exercise if the illness is above the neck (head).  That has been in my head since I was in the Army - the philosophy behind I I don't recall.

• Oops I got that backwards, don't exercise if below the neck, exercise if above the neck lol

• Good job getting it done.  It feels good to knock it out.  Ditto what Brenda says...if it is in the head/throat/sinuses, it is fine to exercise; it's actually good for cleaning out the sinuses, etc....However, if it moves into your chest or ends up being a stomach type virus, then it is best to skip it and rest.  Make sure you are fueling your body with healthy food now and staying away from sugar, since it is an immune suppressant.  Drink lots of water, and feel better soon!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"