Cardio Heart Rate

• I have increased my cardio so that I am now hitting the 7 on the treadmill.  It is as hard as I can hit it right now.  I do worry about my heart rate.  I realize that the treadmill heart rate monitor may not be completely accurate but I think for me it is accurate enough.  My worry is that I am up to a heart rate of 189-191 after I complete my  top number of 7 (I work up from 3.5 to 7 x 4 times similar to the BFL cardio I just can't hit the 10 yet).  I this bad, good, or expected?  I am 48, 5'2, and 50 lb overweight.  I do recover quickly.  Thanks for any input.

• Hi Brenda.  It all goes by how you feel.  If you are recovering properly, then you are good.  Target heart rates are really subjective.  The formula many use is known to be inaccurate, although a decent generalization, but remember that there are variations. 

Of course speak with your doctor about any specific health concerns.  If you are approved to exercise and this is just a general question, then know you're doing just fine. 

As for a 10, do remember that is YOUR ten.  You can hit a 10, it just might differ from mine.   

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Thank you for the input Jessica.  That is what I thought, but I needed to reaffirm.  

• Hitting a heart rate of 191 is probably a 10 for you. 191 is quite high

• Define a ten by how you feel.  Heart rates vary and until you know your ten, you don't know where your heart rate will likely fall during one.  Also, it can vary on the day and activity.  Mike Harris defined a 10 by you genuinely not being able to do even 10 seconds more at that level.  You are putting it all out there and to the point of total exertion / exhaustion.  You should not recover immediately, but should be able to recover within about 5 minutes. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!