My muscles aren't recovering

• Hi everyone,

I have completed my first BFL week today. I have been working out really hard, and eating sufficient protein. The problem is that my muscles are not recovering. My lower body workout was on Monday. Now it's Thursday and my hamstring and quads still hurt. My upper body workout was yesterday. I went a bit mad lifting really heavy (for me). My forearms, triceps and biceps are terribly sore and don't look like they're going to calm down soon.

I tried very warm showers but not making any difference. I also did the foam roller routine on my quads but not doing much except sedate the pain for a few minutes.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• That's miserable, Change4Better.  On recommendation of another BFLer, I have a whey protein shake and a serving of Betagen within half an hour of my workout.  That does help with muscle recovery!

Hope it works for you.

Mary

• Hope this helps but I hope you are getting adequate rest at night after your workout,  using the alternating system of working out areas during BFL CHaLLENGES, and I have found that EAS Muscle Armor seems to help when taken after a workout involving weights especialy.(I like the orange flavor reminds me of the TANG  space drink from long ago). Best wishes, Keep MOving FOrward!!

• Thank you very much. I have ordered some today. I think you are right. I don't rest enough. I'll try to do better.

Thanks a lot xx

• Hi there,

I have created a support group on Facebook called “Body for Lifers!”  The link is…

www.facebook.com/.../353357984743968

I just started the Body For Life program (8/15/12) and know I would enjoy having an easily accessible support group. I would like to have a forum where questions can be answered, encouragement given, progress celebrated and ideas generated.

Come join us!

Laura

• Hi Laura,

I just joined the group. It's a wonderful idea. Thanks, Ruby.

• Hi change4life- I had the same problem.  Felt beat up too sore and couldnt recover.  I stares haing a serving of Bêtagen ( my new favorite product) and a myoplex lite within 30 minutes.  Problem solved!

• I will go against the grain here.

It is normal to be very sore in your first week. Your muscles simply aren't used to lifting heavy weights or doing the high intensity exercise. I, along with everyone else in my group on here went through the same thing in our first week. I could hardly walk and my chest and upper body just ached for about 5-7 days. However come week 2 that pain starts to subside and your body gets used to it, although you will still experience soreness, just not as bad. By week 3 that will you will be sore after your workout but by the end of the day you will be fine.

Supplements can help. I have Phos Force before I go to the gym for energy and Myoplex after my workout for protein, but I wouldn't say any of that helped me reduce my soreness in the early weeks. Enjoy the pain. It shows you are doing it all right. It will subside naturally and save you a ton of money. Patience is key.

Have fun!!

• Things that will help with soreness

Sleep more

Eat cottage cheese as part of your last meal of the day

Drink whey right after a work out

Get a massage

and as TassieTim said, wait it get easier

• My first week was brutal; my muscles were sore to the point that I looked like I was in a body cast!

But I made sure I got plenty of rest, plenty of protein (especially right after my workouts), and I stretched constantly. For my second round of workouts, I just powered through the pain, however I was also conscious that I was matching the weights to my intensity, making sure not to overdo it. On some exercises I even brought the weight down.

During the second week my body adjusted and now it's just a matter of focussing on the highest intensity possible, without having to worry about my body seizing up!

You'll make it!!!!

Oh, and Linden's right about the massage, I found Thai to be the best, it really stretches you out.

• 5 grams of lglutamine before and after workout is key to recovery