I don't understand the resistance training patterns

• Hi all - I can't get this upper, lower and ab workout pattern. The example journal for upper body switches from dumbbell bench press to dumbbell flyes for level 10 intensity. It switches from seated dumbbell press to side raises for that level 10 intensity. So you're supposed to switch to another exercise for your level 10? How do you know which exercise to switch to? What about all of the exercise types that are not listed, what exercise is the level 10 for them?

• Hi carolineb,

1) "So you're supposed to switch to another exercise for your level 10?"

Yes that is 100% correct.

2) "How do you know which exercise to switch to?"

Look at the top of the pages in the book that show the different exercises being performed. It gives the name of the exercise and then in brackets it gives the body part that the exercise it works out (e.g. page 142 says "Seated Dumbell Press (shoulder)".

So if you were working your shoulders, you might do 5 sets of Seated Dumbell Press, and then switch to ANOTHER DIFFERENT move from the book that ALSO SAYS (shoulder) after it in its name.

For the shoulders you should have 4 different moves in your book to choose from:

i) Seated Dumbell Press (shoulders)

ii) Standing Barbell Press (shoulders)

iii) Side Raises (shoulders)

iv) Bent-Over Raises (shoulders)

You can pick ANY TWO of these moves - they are all equivalent, none of them is better than the others (although it is best if you pick the ones that you have the necessary equipment to do, particularly if you are working out at home).

3) "What about all of the exercise types that are not listed, what exercise is the level 10 for them?"

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you can clarify your question I will try again to answer it.

Good luck!

• thanks for your answer! I did a practice upper body today. I think I got the Chinese Restaurant Menu aspect of this!! Pick one from column A for 5 sets then one from Column B for the last set!

• Hi there,

I have created a support group on Facebook called “Body for Lifers!”  The link is…

www.facebook.com/.../353357984743968

I just started the Body For Life program (8/15/12) and know I would enjoy having an easily accessible support group. I would like to have a forum where questions can be answered, encouragement given, progress celebrated and ideas generated.

Come join us!

Laura