Shin Splints - Cardio substitute

• Hi,

I am on week three of BFL. I think I have shin splints and the experts recommend resting it. Is there something other than running that I can do to get my cardio in and not aggrevate it?

Thanks,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,

I would imagine you don't want to do anything where your shins are POUNDING against something.

Hence jogging/skipping etc are probably gonna be "off the menu" for you for a while.

I would recommend cycling/using a stationary bike, possibly a rowing machine would be a good option, or swimming while you recover from your problem.

• dittos on the bike or rower. Actually the rower will give you a better cardio workout than running. It uses more muscles and burns more calories than just about any form of exercise

• Just wondering what shoes you are wearing.  I had the same problem when I started BFL and ended up going to a running shoe where they custom fit me for running shoes as well as insoles.  It made all the difference in the world; it may be worth checking into.  I love spinning as well; it's a great HIIT workout.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"