A question on Cardio

• Ok,

So, I'm in week 4, doing good, eating properly, had minor slip up in week 3 cause i was in night shift, but did all my workouts, and ate properly 90% of the time ( I KNWO ITS NOT 100, but im not looking back now :)).

My question is this, I usually use a cross trainer for cardio (great cause it uses both upper and lower body) I use it forward and backwards (first set i go forward, 2nd set i go back) I find it keeps my legs going doing this, and really rasies my heart rate. Its good, I enjoy it, but I want some variety.

At my disposal i also have :

1 rowing machine

2 mountain bike

3 stationary bike

(I cant run due to a knee injury, more I am capable, but it will wear my knee joint out due to lack of cartilage)

How can i use those machines better for my cardio? (the rowing machine is air resistence.

Any help appreciated, and any other suggetions.

PS. Dropped from 100kg, down to 95Kg, so im pretty happy about that

• Congratulations on making it to week 4 and on the weight loss so far! You are right don't look back now. No one is 100% perfect. The champions are the ones that give everything they truly have for all 12 weeks.

having suffered a knee injury I understand about running. Thankfully I have been able to rehabilitate my knee and can run again. No as much though so I mix up my cardio a lot.

The main thing, regardless of the type of cardio, is to challenge your heart and lungs. It can be very easy to coast along in our comfort zones. Each and everyone of us is capable of way more than we think we are. In cardio, with weights (and life too) we have preconceived ideas, preset limitations and boundaries we must press against these boundaries and then cross them in order to attain the changes we desire.

Mixing up cardio, and weights too, is important. It keeps your body guessing about what is next, it add the much needed variety and it is also beneficial for your knee.

All the best with the rest of your challenge!

Orrin

• As to which machine to use ... what's the most fun? You'll get way more exercise value out of a machine that makes you go "WHEEEEEEEEE that's a TEEEEEENNNN" than one where you're thinking about the next thing on your schedule already.

[edit: it is also helpful to pick machines that you can fall from without excessive harm after reaching a 10.]

• Ha ha, great advice!

What i was more meaning was how do i implement a 10 on say a mountain bike or an air resistence rower?

Just go faster or?

• A true 10 IMHO is when you reach that point where you want to quit, where your mind tells you you can't go on. At that point you dig deep and go beyond your perceived limitations. So yes definitely go faster and/or add resistance(tension, incline...) If you can use a machine that displays rpm or mph they are a great way to monitor your effort and push yourself further. Relying on what we think is fast enough or hard enough is not enough.

I'm rambling again. hope that made some sense.