Some suggestions please?

• Hi there

So I did the BFL back in 2005, but didnt really go all the way to the end, however I did get some great results!

So 7 Years 2 children and one wedding later, this time I'm going to do it to the end and give it 100%.

I have a few questions :

1. Should my muscles hurt 2 days after my workout if i have pushed them hard enough, If they arent (mostly they arent) am I not lifting enough?

2. I have had a knee reconstruction on my right ACL, due to this, I lost a LOT of muscle from my right leg, is there anything i can do to get it back to the same level as my left leg?? ( I do leg press and extensions at the momment for quads)

Due to this, its advised I don't run, this is becuas i have had about 75% of the cartliage removed from that knee also, so i use a crosstrainer for my cardio (which is supposed to be as good as running but zero impact).

3. I am starting to see results already but really want to maximise it more, should I be changing excercise's all the way through the program? The gym I go to is pretty limited in what it can provide.

4. Just any other tips? Started 28.5.2012

My goal is just to loose as much body fat as I can and keep it off. I weighed 100KG at the start, and am 97KG now 2 weeks in. I live at the bottom of the world in New Zealand, and get ridiculed at work for taking protein supplements, people think its a product called slim fast, perhaps you remember it. It use ON whey protein and On multivitamins, I also take omega 3 fish oil to help digest and break down trans-fat build up.

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Will put up pics, as soon as somone tells me the easiest way to do it.

• In answer to your first question, my legs hurt for about three days after my first hard workout. After that your body should get used to it and only hurt for maybe a day. The protein supplements should help with the soreness, it did for me.

As far as your knee is concerned, try biking or swimming, they are both no impact and low stress.

I try to mix up the exercises I do just because doing the same exact workout every time just bores me, lol.

• I think the big question you have to ask yourself to answer #1 is, did you lift to the point of failure? Was getting out that last 12th rep one of the hardest things you've ever done? If not, it's possible you aren't pushing yourself. I have specific muscle groups I almost always hit my 10s with (triceps, calves, and shoulders mostly) and they are always sore 1-2 days after. Having said that, being sore for only 1 day, 2 tops isn't necessarily evidence of you not putting in the effort. My husband is almost never sore, even when he works hard. It varies from person to person. If you are hitting your 10s, keep doing what you're doing.

For #2, I would agree that low impact is best. And you may always struggle with that leg. I have a friend I work out with sometimes who has bad knees; she often can't even do 70lb leg presses. It is what it is. Maybe try some non-machine leg exercises like step-ups, squats or lunges and see how that goes for a while.

On #3, I changed my routine every 4 weeks. Different exercises for each muscle group, and this time around (I'm doing Challenge #2) I am also changing my HIIT cardio patterns every 4 weeks. I think this helps break the monotony, help you learn new techniques, and prevent your body from hitting a plateau. Use the internet look up different exercises with just dumbbells and bands if your gym is limited; as long as you have room to move, the sky is pretty much the limit.

Good luck, and great work on already losing 3KG in your first 2 weeks!