KNEES REALLY HURT IN WEEK # 9 -ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!

• HI EVERYBODY;  AS I PROGRESS THRU THIS PROGRAM I'VE NOTICED THAT MY LEG WORKOUTS ARE REALLY STARTING TO GET INTENSE!! IT IS DEMANDING MORE ENERGY TO COMPLETE EACH SET BECAUSE I AM LIFTING HEAVIER WEIGHTS, WHICH HAS PUT A STRAIN ON MY KNEES AND NOW MY KNEES REALLY HURT!!! I'VE BEEN DOING STRETCHING EXERCISES TO TRY TO LOOSEN THEM UP-BUT I'M AWARE OF HOW MY KNEES HURT.  I'VE BEEN SWITCHING UP MY LEG EXERCISES TO TRY TO KEEP THE MUSCLES STIMULATED AND TO TAKE THE PRESSURE OFF MY KNEES-- SHOULD I DROP DOWN IN LBS.  OR SHOULD I JUST CONTINUE CHALLENGING MYSELF?    I 'M REALLY ENJOY ING HOW STRONG I'M BECOMING ---ANY SUGGESTIONS?

• First of all CONGRATULATIONS! week nine is awesome! finish strong! The best and biggest changes are about to happen!

I really hurt my knee during  my second challenge. It took many months to recover. Not fun at all. On top of the leg workouts the HIIT cardio on the treadmill was the culprit. I didn't mix my cardio up enough and just ran and ran. Also, what exercises are you doing mainly for legs? Before I hurt my knee I was using the leg extension when I should have been doing more squats. The leg extension machine really isolates the quads and can cause undue stress on the knee as well as muscle imbalance thus knee pain. Really focus on stretching the hamstrings. when they are tight it puts major pressure on the knee cap, It might also be a good idea to get a personal trainer or someone from the gym to watch you and double check your form and make sure, for example, you are not going too deep with squats.

just a few ideas. Do take care of yourself and listen to your body. An injury can set you way back.

All the best

Orrin

• Greetings Annie50,  I agree with Orin on his advice.  I would also suggest the hot/cold type therapy of water after workouts and the less running on the treadmill.  Where you work out is there a whirlpool to use afterwards.  I have one bum knee so after a heavy leg workout I go to the whirlpool and use the jets to massage the knee and whole leg area. When I get home if there is a problem still later I often use one of the salves like Icy hot or a generic equivalent to help those areas.  I might also suggest perhaps dropping back a bit for now and consider using a knee wrap or neoprene brace that can be found in many stores to help stabilize the area.  Glucosamine is often found in many vitamins and supplements (like EAS Muscle Armor) and that can help with after workout recovery as well., Hope this helps you out some. Best wishes always

• Annie - I'll second (third?) Orrin's and WPBill's advice. A couple of additional suggestions:

(1) I do squats myself and used to have trouble with my knees, but now I do them at my weight bench, which is just the right height so when my rear taps the bench I'm down as far as I should go. Now all I have to watch is that my kneecaps don't go past my toes, and my knees haven't bothered me. If you do squats, you might try setting up something similar to tell you when you're down far enough.

(2) For the first few weeks when my knees were "not behaving well", I used an exercise called "Knee Marching" for my quads. I'd sit on my weight bench, put a dumbbell or other weight just above the knee, lift and lower that leg for the given number of reps, then switch legs. It was a great quad workout and had almost zero knee strain!

• Hi Everybody:  Thanks for all your advice.  After reading your responses I think I have identified the culprit for my sore knees-running on the treadmill.  I have stopped the running now for 2 cardio sessions-I just briskly walk on the treadmill and increase the incline to hit my 10.  I must admit I'm not as sore as I was before.  I also put a bench under my fanny when I squat and I just tap it and power back up.  Today I did 5 sets of leg extensions and my final in squat.  I felt I should have turned it around.  My legs are getting so strong-that I felt like I cheated myself by not doing 5 sets of squats first then the leg extensions.  Thanks for helping me identify the problem-before it turns into an injury.  I love this program so much that I don't want to do anything that will impede my progress.  Next challenge I'm going to start supplementing for better nutrition and recovery.   Happy Transforming!!

• Hi Annie -  I too had some issues with knee pain when I first started getting back to the gym.  I have found that the eliptical is the best machine for me to do cardio.  It allows for a running motion without the impact on the knee joint.  I also started taking Osteo-Biflex daily and have seen a huge inprovment.