Week 3 - got a nasty cold - what do i do?

• Hi everyone!

On week 3 now and the last couple of days felt like I got a flu or something. I still went to the gym though. Is it OK to take days off when you not well? Sorry if it is a silly question...

• I would say you know your body, do what you feel you need to do.  I think if you need to take time away from the gym to recover from a cold then you have to.  Be kind to your fellow gym rats, we don’t want what you have!  Drink lots of water.  I love the Emergen C vitamin C drinks.  The important thing is to get back in the gym when you feel better, don’t let a setback knock you off the track.  My wife has missed 2 workouts in 4 weeks.  She just misses that day and is right back the next day.  Eat clean and focus on getting better.  Good luck!

• It happens.  Sometimes your body just needs to rest and get better.  Skipping a workout is better than doing the workout and over doing it to only be more sick the next day...been there done that.

1 or 2 workouts does not determine the final results...its the sum of all of them.

Hope you feel better!

• If you have a fever, then do rest.  If a nasty cold, get to the gym and sweat through it! 

Get better!

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I also had a nasty cold, but mine was in Week 2. I would say rest and do your workouts at home(if you must).  But, going to the gym when you are ill is not considerate of others.

• I'm week 3 with a cold too!  I managed my weightlifting at home yesterday but I think I'm going to miss cardio today, maybe Saturday too.  I have asthma and my colds always leave me short of breath.

Andys10, are those emergenc drinks sugary?

• It becomes a slippery slope.  Of course be mindful about  wiping down machines and covering your mouth, but we really can workout when we have a cold.  I  have asthma and sometimes the workout isn't as great, but it's best to get it done. 

• Thank you everyone! I am better now... skipped 2 days but now back to work! good advices here!

Be healthy everyone!!!

:)

• Hey CookieFleck,

here is a link http://www.emergenc.com/

looks like it should be ok...

• Vitamin C, although necessary and good for you, has been proven to do nothing about your cold.  Just take care of yourself  and up those liquids. 

• oil of oregano... it'll burn, but it also kills just about anything.

• I know this is a little late for you, but for future readers.

It is common for people to get ill whithin the first few weeks of going to a gym.

They are cesspools for germs (I am not a germaphobe just stating the facts).

All the conditions are perfect there to bread germs all day long.

On top of that, you are susceptible to catching stuff as you exert yourself and breath heavily.

This is why you should wipe your equipment down prior to using and after using it.

I never did prior because that stuff doesn't worry me much but I always did after as a courtesy.

That being said, once you get sick it is up to you if you want to work out, but you should be responsible and courteous to others and not do it at the public gym spreading the illness to others. If you do not have a home gym then you can still do body resistance training at home. May not be a full workout but it is still a workout. You can also strap on the running shoes and do your cardio outside. 

Now, I am not necessarily talking about the simple cold that you might not be able to shake for ever, but you mentioned possibly the flew or something else more serious then a cold.

This is just my opinion, but if you think about it, how would you feel if the guy next to you in the gym was knowingly carrying a flew virus but didn't care who he spread it to.

Just remember, everyone goes to the gym to get healthier, not to get sick.

Then as soon as you are better get back on track.

Happy lifting.