yell at me, please!!!

• C1W1D4

so far this week i have been unable to get myself out of bed in time to go to the gym in the morning. i know this is doing BFL wrong (on cardio days anyway). I really want to do my workouts in the morning, even the weightlifting, but i am a terrible sleeper. i figure if i force myself to get up one morning then i will be really tired that night, and then i can sleep good and i will be in the rythym eventually...but it is that first day that is gonna be the hardest.

for weigh days, i need to get up at 4:30am to get my workout in before work and cardio days by 4:50am.

i think the thought of waking up before 5am anyway is too much for my brain. i have been eating PERFECTLY so far though.

any tips on getting up? i know this seems like an obvious answer (DO IT) but i think i need people to yell at me and give me tips. does waking up at 4:30 get easier at any point???

also, did anyone do their cardio not in the morning? just curious.

T

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

• T-

I know of people who do workouts in the morning and also ones who do it in the evening.  i do mine at night.  i am up at 5:30 to get everyone ready for the day and there is little hope for me to wake up earlier.  i have heard from many that mornings are better and i am positive they are right.  it just isn't right for me.  my feeling is i get my workouts in and that is a good thing.  if you wait to do them at night you cannot allow all the excuses to get in your head; like i am too tired, it's been a long day.  may i suggest whichever you decide to have it in writing in your plan book, then read it at night prior to going to sleep.  having a plan is always best and it is something your brain can wrap itself around.  example: cardio at 4:30 am.  so when the alarm goes off there is reason to be up.  good luck

THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE

• As far as I know people with BFL experience don't yell.  I started getting up at 5:00am 17 years ago out of necessity.  My necessity is now 18.  I'm at the gym at 4:15 am everyday now because that is MY time, uninterrupted, guilt free and that's my motivation.  I deserve that time.  

I will say that you can not force a night owl to become a morning person!  If you can absolutely give your workouts 110% the way they are, why guilt yourself in to changing and potentially suffering half-hearted zombie workouts?  Just sayin... ;o)

Do what YOU will stick with.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• thanks jimmieb !

so you even do your cardio at night? how are you doing with your challenge in terms of success?

i know what you mean about excuses - the last time i tried to do this, if i missed a morning workout i thought i couldnt do it later (or maybe that is what i told myself) so then i would say "ok, tomorrow i will do my cardio in the morning and then upper body at night..." yea that never happened.

i would love to get it out of the way in the morning! i think writing it down is a great tip that i will start trying. thanks

T

• thanks  Champster09! wow, 4:15 is crazy early! good for you

i also would like to get to the gym early because there is no one there (it opens at 5) but if i go after work i have to compete with everyone else and it's frustrating.

i think i am too easily persuaded by other people too "why in the WORLD would you get up at 5am to work out when you can do it after work??"  and then i start wondering, yea why....

thank you for NOT yelling at me and giving me good information....i guess i need to decide what is best for me.  i am a bit of a night owl and i might just have to work with that

• in C1 i lost 20 pounds and 6 inches from my waist.  i achieved MY goals of learning to live a different way.  You must have your goals set and review them daily.  state a general goal and then get specific on how it is to get done.  here is a goal example:  i do my 3 cardio days in the morning.  write that down and then write down how you are going to achieve it.  the more positive statements you give your brain the more it will allow you to accomplish.  

Make sure all of your statements are in the positive.  example: I wake up at 4:30.  bad example: i will not hit the snooze button.  your brain and you will respond much better with a positive statement.

THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE

• thanks, that is really helpful. positive statements from now on.

20lbs and 6 inches is amazing! you must have worked really hard. thanks for the advice.

• IF you are a nightowl, which I am and there are many times I miss my morning weight workouts(never cardio because of the importance to me), I will go in the evening about 50 minutes before the gym closes.  By the time I have done my first exercise and a half, the traffic has really thinned out.

Have you tried this?

Statistically, peak times in the evening are between 5 and 7 and that's without borders.

• jimmieb is a man of wisdom! It is all in your perspective, thoughts and actions.

I work out and do my cardio in the evening. My schedule almost prevents me completely from AM workouts. Kind of stinks that it is on your mind ALL day. However, it works for my schedule and I FEEL so much better when I am done. It helps me feel accomplished and cozy when I get into bed.

No worries about how it affects your outcome. You can see my 10 week progress photos on the media gallery from challenge 1. I lost 25 pounds of scale weight. Went from a 10/12 to a size 4. I feel younger, healthier and happier than ever before.

Find your groove! Don't try and fit into someone else's groove.

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• thanks, armster

yes, actually i did that last night at my gym and it worked out pretty well...my gym closes at 9 so i got there around 7:40 (they start kicking people out around 8:45 which makes no sense to me) and it was certainly less crowded than at like 6

if you can get up for cardio as a nightowl, i should be able to to...technically it is only 2 days a week because i can sleep a little later on saturdays. thanks for the tip

• The most important thing to do, is what works for you.  Having said that, I never would have dreamed I could get up early to workout, but I've been doing it now for the last 22 years.  I get up at 3:45.  Took me about 2 or 3 weeks and I was hooked.  For me, it was too easy to get busy and not get my workout in at night.  It's a great feeling to be done before my work day starts.  It's also great help with eating clean, to remember how hard I worked earlier that morning, when a tempation hits later in the day.  But it really all comes down to you, and what works best for you.  There is no wrong answer if what you're doing works for you.  Good luck.

• aspiring_champ81
    "why in the WORLD would you get up at 5am to work out when you can do it after work??"  and then i start wondering, yea why....

I've been asked a that question a thousand times...Because it works for me.  As does eating clean lunches, as does the long term commitment to fitness does.  In fact in the past year four people that I work with have changed their own habits to reflect healthier choices.  I've only lived the example, nothing extraordinary other than doing it day in and day out.  Some folks want a lasting change for 12 weeks and expect to retain those changes without the "maintenance".  I want it for life, I do it for life.

• hey Faithful Renee! thanks. wow 25 lbs in 10 weeks?? that's incredible. i am about a 10/12 now on week 1 so that gives me lots of hope.

i will check out your pics. i will find my groove. thanks so much for your input.

• Oh and one other reason.  In the morning there are no excuses that pop up to deter you.  It's you, your alarm clock and your gym.  Love it.  

• Dan! thanks. it was about what works for me...and so far just getting the workout in is a challenge, but i am doing it so far. one day at a time...it is too easy for me to get busy too though so i would really like to get in the morning routine. congrats on being able to get up that early!! what time do you go to sleep??

champster09 - i am glad i am not the only one that gets those questions...like it's so ridiculous to work out in the morning...they ask me the same about why i cant eat crap. it's hard when you live with people that make 0 commitment to being healthy, but i guess i can try and lead by example. "It's you, your alarm clock and your gym.  Love it. " - this is so great!! :D p.s. i read your story and it was great. congrats on being a champ!!

Faithful Renee - your before/current pics are amazing! hope you are entering the challenge! thanks for sharing