To eat or not to eat before a weight workout?

• I am new to the BFL program, but I am not new to weight training.  In the book, he recommends working out on an empty stomach.  I do fine doing cardio on an empty stomach, but I get too weak trying to do weights on an empty stomach.  What do you guys do?  I thought about just drinking a protein shake one of those advantedge lo carb ones,  but that would not be on the program.  Egg whites and oatmeal?  After my weight workout, I like to have a myoplex lite shake.  But what to do before? Thanks.

• I have the same problem as you when i skip dinner the night before, or when i haven't eaten only four meals the day before. Other than that I workout fine on an empty stomach.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• I say if you feel like you have to eat, then eat!  I always eat prior to a weight workout.  I usually eat between 5:30-6:00 and workout around 8-8:30.  I sometimes eat a protein pancake 30-60 minutes prior to a workout as well (in addition to the first meal).  My BF usually consists of 3-4 egg whites with some salsa and a spelt tortilla.  Or, I'll have a few egg whites, with a slice of turkey deli meat on a bagel thin.  I think egg whites & oatmeal would be a good preworkout meal, since the carbs are slow digesting and will help get you through your workout.  I would suggest eating about an hour prior and then get that protein shake into your body within 30-60 minutes of your weight workout.  I drink mine right after.  Good luck to you.  Welcome to BFL; I think you will be very happy with this lifestyle.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks Ruby, that makes alot of sense.

• Thank you BDMom, that helped me alot.  It was the BFL book that suggested you workout on an empty stomach, even weight days.  But, I guess I will have to experiment a little.