How often do you increase your weights/up your cardio level?

• Hello all!

The more i read BFL the more I think it's about increasing your limits and breaking them. It's hard hitting a TEN each time but when you do, you feel great! So, I wonder, how often should one increase their limit? I'm progressing at a different rate for each exercise but generally I like to increase my level after every two weeks. How important is it to try to increase each time?

• Hi,

Nobody can increase every time if they are really and truly hitting their 10s. For the first few workouts you will exploring your thresholds and how far you can really go. It took me nearly four workouts to realize that my leg press level 10 is actually my level 8, that i can break the mental barrier and go to a level i thought i was not able to do.

However, once you do hit your real tens, you will know when you need to add weights: i.e., when they seize to feel like tens and you feel the workout is relatively easier than it used to be, then this is the time to increase the weights or the level a notch.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• Hello,

On the weights, I go by the rule of thumb that once I can get 12 reps on my high point set, then the next time I workout that body part I increase the weight on the high point set and aim for 12 again.  Usually, I fall short and then keep it at that weight until I can do 12.  I then just keep repeating this cycle.  Another option would be to increase the weight on sets 3, 4, and 5, and then keep the weight the same on the high point set, which will be more challenging because of the increased weight on the preceding sets.

As for the cardio, I go in with the intention of trying to cover more distance each time by doing faster rpms on the bike or more mph on the elliptical during each cycle of 6, 7, 8, 9 than I did the previous workout.  However, I have not been increasing the distance I cover consistently as of late.  Still though, I focus on giving that high point minute every ounce of energy I have and also look to see if I get my HR up to 185 or higher, which is also a goal each time.  At least by doing this I know I have given my body a good cardio workout, even if the distance isn't always increasing.

You are right though, I big part of this program is the mental piece.  I actually have come to appreciate that Body for Life is really a mental exercise as much as it is physical.  You are testing your limits and developing resolve each and everyday you do the workouts and follow the nutrition plan.

One Life, Live Accordingly

• Nash -  You can break the whole program into 3-week quarters, meaning, keep the same type of workout for three weeks pushing and pushing and getting good intensity, then switch to a different excercise for that muscle group for the next three weeks and then come back to your orginal 3 week workout and compare.

The whole idea is to never get bored, and to learn your one 10 intensity.  You never know what a true 10 intensity is until you can't do your last 12 set rep.

Awesome!

~Marqui D.  C2W1D2

• Thank you all for your input!

I especially like your idea Marqui! I'm going to adjust like so