workout weirdness

• unknown1988 - Another thing about the 1kg muscle mass lost....

If you got your body fat tested electronically (hand held) it considers water to be part of your lean body mass (LBM) aka "muscle" or fat free mass. Fat is 10% water. It is possible that you have lost only fat and not gained any muscle (especially since you do not eat all 6 meals). That means of the 11kg you lost 1.1kg was water and it will show up as 1.1kg of "muscle loss".

My LBM varies from 143 pounds to 151 pounds depending on my water retention but my fat mass always read out at 28-29 pounds meaning when I gain and lose from week to week my fat is staying the same amount. I am trying to lose fat but I am stuck and need to clean up my diet. I think your diet and simple carbs are your main obstacle.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Almost forgot, my HR frequently goes over 170 bpm.  The "220 minus your age" is very arbitrary;  and of course, gyms are going to err on the conservative side so as not be sued if someone croaks.

220 - 49 (my age) = 171 bpm !!  I should've been dead a long time ago.

Your theoretical maximum heartrate changes not only because of your age but also with your level of fitness.

Laurie, 2010 Body-for-Life Champion 46+

Never underestimate your power to change.

• I try avoiding them but then i suddenly get this crazy urge in which case i tend to over eat. I honestly just hate the taste of brown rice. I feel rather than totally avoiding simple carbs i can limit them. I have tried many times to switch to complex carbs such as wholemeal bread but I fail to carry on after a few days. But brown rice, I just cant bear it. For example, I have built a taste for tuna and cottage cheese. But some foods i just cant get down my gob.

• Thx bryan, the body water changes makes alot of sense. I noticed this trend whenever I got my body analysis done through the hand held. I guess the best way to judge is to measure the inches and see yourself in front of a mirror

• Do i need to warmup before weight lifting sessions? If so, how should I warm up; with cardio or light weights? I dont feel very comfortable getting in the gym and just starting off with the weight training exercises. I feel very stiiff initially but by the time i complete my chest and back exercises I feel my movement is much smoother.

• Great question!  This is one area that I disagree with the Body for Life principles.  They do not think warming up and stretching is very important.... that the lighter weights that we start with warm-up our muscles.  I disagree.

This is what I do before all weight-lifting sessions:

5-7 min low-intensity cardio (elltipical, or walking on TM, or jogging in place, low-impact jumping jacks, etc.).  You just want to get some blood flowing to those muscles before you stretch them.

Then, I stretch every major muscle (upper body and lower body).  

I do this routine before going for a run, too.

I tend to be very injury-prone and I am a firm believer in warming up and stretching.

• Oh.... my husband can't stomach brown rice either.  What about substituting a plain baked potato for the white bread and/or rice?  I eat lots of potatoes (sweet potatoes are better for you, but I usually eat white potatoes).  I just put pepper on them.  Some people put cottage cheese or salsa on them.

• Lady Georgia,

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the warm up. Although I don't usually follow a warm up routine (time constraints), I find I get fewer injuries when I do warm the muscles first. I am not a fan of stretching first with all the research showing it can actually hinder performance, but I definitely see improvements when i warm my body first before trying to lift or do high intensity cardio.

• Hi Marathonmama!  Thanks for enlightening me on that.  I don't do deep stretches before the run and it freaks me out to see people NOT warm-up but doing lots of stretching first.  I'll try your technique.  My first mile is SSSOOOOooo slow.... it's really still part of my warm-up.  How can I fix that or should I?

I do love to stretch after running and especially after LBWO's.  I never want to lose my flexibility.

• Lady Georgia,

I completely agree with stretching after a workout! Improves flexibility and helps prevent injury and post workout soreness. Keep it up!  Recent research has shown that stretching before can actually weaken the muscles so they can not go as long or hard during a workout. It makes sense that you would want to warm the muscles up before stretching just as you warm them up before a workout. Think stretching a piece of taffy. Snaps when pulled apart cold but stretches when pulled when warm. Research has also shown that stretching before can cause more injuries. A nonstatic warm up is best before the workout to warm the muscles.

You have nothing to fix! I always start out slower for my first mile or two to warm up before bumping up the pace to my target pace for the remainder of the run.. Your body is naturally doing what you are supposed to be doing! If it is a shorter run, I will do some warm up drills or a slow warm up mile. Even when I do my HIT cardio I will try to do the first interval slower than my final three to give my body time to adjust and loosen up. If you want your first mile to be fast such as if you were doing a short race, than you would just do some warm up drills before. On long runs such as half marathons, I just warm up with the first couple miles of the race though. You really can't "bank" miles in endurance races.

• thx all for the amazing advice. I totally agree with warming up. I also warmup at intensity level 1 and 3 before reaching level 5. it really helps. i always stretch after the workout. My main issue is during weight lifting. Can i warm up using light weights? Id say my performance is 20% lower if i dont warmup

• unknown,

I personally like to use a fairly light weight for my first, 12 rep set (for me that means 12 lbs for a bicep curl for example than peaking at 25 lbs).  A warm up set is especially helpful when working my shoulders. If I start out to heavy to soon I usually get injured or feel the not good kind of pain when lifting.  If you do too much light warm up lifting before the standard BFL workout, you may run out of gas. For me, having the first set be a warm up seems to work. You might try experimenting with what works best for you. I've been lifting weights off and on to various degrees for 15 years and I've always found 1 warm up set with a slightly lighter weight to be helpful as opposed to jumping right into heavy lifting.  

• marathonmama,

Warming up really works for me because I dont feel so much stress on my muscles, especially during LBWs. If I dont warm up, my level 9 drops by literally 5-10 pounds.

Lady Georgia

I cant express how much I enjoyed my cardio workout today by increasing my speed. I felt less stress on my legs, less fatigue, and ended up burning the same amount of calories. I felt so much better; it just felt right. All I did was reduce my intensity by 1 level for each HIIT interval. It felt like cardio as opposed to hard lower body workout. Today I could say to myself "YES IM MORE ACTIVE THEN BEFORE"

Thx.Thx.Thx.

• unknown1988 - That's great to hear.  Rather than focusing on calories, I prefer to look at the distance.  Keep up the good work.

Marathonmama - Thank you very much.  I'm still pretty new to running (started last summer) and really struggle at it.   I sure love how I feel after a run though!