Cardio question

• Okay, confession time here!

I cannot keep up anything past intensity level 6-7 for a full minute! I am doing better than last week so hope it will come but for now I have simply been walking, jogging, running for 20 minutes hitting high points then coming back down then up again, I have been doing the full 2 minute warm up and sometimes more than a minute cool down. Yes it has taken me past 20 minutes but I had to walk back to the car or in the house.

No exercise machine yet, I am thinking that would make it easier to follow the program? My husband says do not worry about the minute by minute intensity level that the goal is to go up and down, which I am doing, for 20 minutes.

How important is it to keep each intensity level for a full minute? What is the reason for it?

--- Kitty

• I think if you're not able to go the full minute at these certain intensity levels, you're probably trying to go too fast too soon. When you start your intervals, try starting at a slower speed and work up from there through the "6, 7, 8, & 9" level intensities and see if that helps you go the full minute.

Mike

• I agree with Mike on the knock it back a level to start with.  I think you are doing a fabulous job and in two weeks you will look back on these posts and be amazed at your changes.  Congrats to you that hubs is supportive as well!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Are you doing "your" 6 7 and 8 or the machines? Because if your doing the machines try to use the 5, 6, 7, and 8 as your RPE (rate of perceived exertion.) for example my high point 10 is only 6 mile per hour.

• Not using a machine, doing a walk, powerwalk, jog, run thing. Not measuring any distance or heart rate, just starting at what I think is a moderate level and raising it up until I can't then going back down. Repeat that for 20 minutes, taking it PAST what I couldn't do in the 18-19th minute and then cool down while walking back to the house or car.

--- Kitty

• I think that's fine Kitty, just stick with it and you will get to the levels for the entire minute.  Be patient with yourself, you are just starting out.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory