Concept 2 Rowing Machine

• Does anyone here do their cardio on a Concept 2 rowing machine?   I'm starting my first challenge next week and did a trial run workout today.  Would be interested in hearing other experiences.

• I did use the Concept 2Rowing machine for my warmup cardio and found it to be quite helpful and challenging as long as you up the difficulty level and time on the machine progressively. I found that it gave a great overall cardio type workout. I usually had it set on calories so I could set a pace that resulted in max caloric burnoff each time and helped me to progress. I even got a chance to use the Concept3 Rowing machine while on vacation up north at my hometown gym (still not sure what that fish game was on that one screen on the version 3 but it looked kind of fun). That machine featured a slot where a card could be inserted before starting that records your last workout session on a magnetic strip. Wow, high tech on that one. WP Bill

• Thanks for the response, WP Bill.   I set my monitor to show the pace/500 meters.   What do you mean by your "warmpup cardio"?

I'm interested to hear how others make their progression from 60%,70%,80%,90%,100% on the machine.   My trial run was 2:15, 2:10, 2:00, 1:50, 1:40.   At 1:40 I was definitely going all out.

• Concept 2 will kick your fanny!!  Especially when you learn how to use the damper setting to increase the intensity.  Wow!!  Just sayin'...  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• And Tim I can row 500 meters in 1:52 and it sucked in the best way.  I'm female and 47.  I'll be the first to admit I can't hold that pace for all 20 minutes.  I think you'll get the results you desire if you push yourself just like you mention below.  1:40 is a great high point to push to improve as you go.  Make sure you keep up with it, I'd like to see how you improve in 30 days.

• Keeping it at 1:40 was tough because I was grunting and wheezing (not attractive).   I do row regularly, did 5k in 19:20 back in November.   Should be interesting to see how much faster I can get.   I'm starting the challenge on 1/9/11 and already have a supply of EAS bars, shakes and creatine lined up.   I'm planning to do 1 treadmill workout and 2 rowing workouts per week.

• I love it when someone has a plan.  Just hang tough, push yourself and don't let your mind be what holds you back.  Go for it!!

• I used the Concept2 machine as a cardio warm-up on the days when I did lower body exercises. On my cardio days I often did the stepper or treadmill plus swimming as well.  The concept machine is great for goal setting to be sure.

• I've been leery of using the row machine 'cuz I don't want to do bad form with my back when trying to row fast.  Always feel like I'm doing something wrong...  But I would love to do a cardio that uses my arms mainly instead of the legs for a change.

• OptiGirl -- Form is very important on the erg.   You'll waste a ton of energy if you're not doing it correctly.   I'd recommend going to this site and watching the video:

www.concept2.com/.../technique.asp

Once you master the motion, it's very simple.   Watch the videos -- they'll point out common mistakes and how to overcome them.   Good luck!

• I wore a heartrate monitor for my HIIT rowing workout today.   Thought it would be interesting to see what happens.   Picture below shows the results.   I made it up to 188bmp at the very end of my 100% minute.   I was surprised to see how fast I start recovering after the 100% minute -- the rate goes down immediately.

• Tim,

I rowed in college and can't seem to stay away from the erg even though I do not have very good memories on it.  I do almost exactly what you posted as a workout earlier. 2:15 (5) ,2:10(6), 2:05(7), 2:00(8), 1:55(9), and whatever is left for 10 which can be 1:50 to 1:35. The 20 minute workout is great because its about all I can handle mentally. There is probably not a better machine based workout out there. I usually an in the 4900-5100 meter range at the end of the workout.

• Pre-challenge my 30:00 row personal best was 7,612m (1:58.2/500m pace).   Post-challenge I did 7,814m (1:55.1/500m pace).

I only rowed twice a week for twenty minutes of HIIT -- my other workout was on the treadmill each week.   Amazing results from just 40:00 a week on the erg...