Can't get weight training under an hour!

• This is getting frustrating, everywhere I see to keep the weight training workouts no more than 46 or 42 minutes but I just can't do it! I have gotten down to about 75 minutes on average but even that feels like I am sacrificing my form and rushing thru some of it.

What exactly are the reasons one is not supposed to go over that time limit? I can't find an explanation to know if I am ruining my workout or not. I know I am building muscle because I have gained several pounds in the first week but my clothes are not tighter... I would be much bigger if I put on 4 pounds of fat, right?

Am I stressing over this too much?

Thanks for any help!

--- Kitty

• Hi Kitty,

Getting into the routine takes some planning.  I have just finished week 3 and I have totally familiarized myself with where all the benches and weights I need are located.  If I am working with dumbbells I do the exercises right by the dumbbell rack.  I switch out and get right back to it within my one minute rest between sets.  For example my chest exercises are Bench Press and Flyes.  I take my one minute rest between sets on bench press to change weights and get situated for the next set.  On the last rest for bench press I also go grab the dumbbells necessary for my set of flyes that will immediately follow the last set of bench press.  I like the pace and it keeps me focused.  One minute does go fast and I make sure to not go over.

I use the two minute rest between say chest and shoulders to quickly put back any weights I used and set up for my dumbbell military press thingies.  I quickly look at my worksheet to see what weights I will use and go to it.  If the gym is not busy (and I try to go when it is not) I might even line up the dumbbells so I can quickly grab them.  Depending on what else is going on I will take a sip of water.

One minute goes very fast, usually just changing weights (especially with barbells and clamps) usually takes the one minute I need.  I am always moving.

The reason for trying to get done within a set period of time is so that you get your heart rate up in intervals just like for cardio..and so that your muscles have the time to relax but not totally.  Others may be able to describe the science of it better.

Congratulations by the way for getting through your workouts no matter what time you achieve.

• Kitty post an example of your workout for me if you don't mind?

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• If you are just starting, it may take a bit more time.  I remember when I first started I was taking about 75 minutes and couldn't get enough rest.  Now I am at 30-40 minutes.  It just seems to get faster when you're used to it.

• Thanks James and Cali for the support! Part of me is venting, but am also worried that there is a specific reason the program is this way and I am not getting the full benefit, or worse am being detrimental to my progress.

Champster09

Kitty post an example of your workout for me if you don't mind?

Here is my Day 10 workout, from yesterday. It was slightly different from my planned workout, lowered the weight on a couple that I could not lift for the complete set, but I am only posting the actual workout, unless you need to see the plan too.  I workout at home and my dumbbell set goes from 2-10 pounds, after that I am doubling up or screwing and unscrewing weights on bars, which takes too much time :( I am buying a set of 15's this weekend though.  Still should have been only around 60 minutes with that extra time between?

Actual Start Time 5:16        Actual End Time 6:31     Time to Complete 75 min.

muscle group exercise reps weight (pounds) minutes between sets Intensity
    Chest Dumbbell Bench Press 13 5's 1 5
    10 10's 1 6
    8 15's 1-2 7
    6 20's 2:32 8
    12 15's zero 9-10
    Dumbbell Flyes 12 5's 2-3 9
    shoulders Seated Dumbbell Press ?10-12 5's 1:11 5-6
    10 8's 1:09 6-7
    8 10's 1-2 7-8
    6 15's 1-2 8-9
    12 10  8's zero 9
    Side Raises 12 5's 2 10
    Back Dumbell Rows 13 5 1 5
    10 8 1 6-7
    9 10 1 7
    6 15 1 8
    12 10 zero 9
    Dumbell Pullovers 12 10 2 9-10
    Triceps Dumbbell Extensions 12 5 1 6
    10 8 1 6-7
    8 10 1 7-8
    6 15 1 8
    12 10 zero 9
    Lying Extensions 12 8 switched to 5's 2 9-10
    Biceps Incline Dumbbell Curls 12 5's 1 5
    10 8's 1 6
    8 10's 1 7-8
    6 15 12's 1 9
    12 10's zero 9
    Standing Dumbbell Curls 12 8's DONE 9-10

I did not eat before this workout and think it caused problems, I had to go down on some weight even though I did it last week.  I know there is lots of room for improvement....

--- Kitty

• oops, it cut off the intensity level of my table, sorry I didn't do it right

--- Kitty

• Kitty this looks really good.  I agree with the comment below about getting in the groove and with time you will get faster.  I think you underestimate your ability ("I know there is lots of room for improvement)  because this really does look good.  Be confident in what you are doing and when you are feeling low, come here and let us help you.  I wouldn't change the specific exercises for at least 2 weeks until you've pulled your times in a little.   Is 5:16 the time you lift your first dumbbell or the time you walk in to the gym?   Also I find that wearing my ipod really helps me to stay on task.  People have to go out of their way to interupt you.  

• Thanks, I needed that positive reinforcement today.

5:16 is the time I look at the clock and write it down in my journal right before I sit down on the weight bench. It was earlier than my planned start time of 5:30 but still ended after my planned end time of 6:20, even tried to plan it running a bit long.

I was thinking I would change exercises every 4 weeks but might just keep with the same ones to try to stay within time. This is my 3rd upper body workout, my first was 74 minutes and my second was 102 minutes. I stopwatch my rest minutes and sometimes lose count of my reps so do extra if I can and am not sure. My first lower body was 107 minutes and the second was not timed cuz I forgot to write down the start time. I am getting good workouts but not fast ones.

Burning fat or not, I seem to have problems if I don't eat before weights.

Still on a learning curve too, and scared I am messing up every time I turn around. Fighting perfectionism and a desire to not do it at all if I can't do it right...sorry, I'm a not having a good day today. Had to stop cardio early to use the bathroom and am beating myself up for everything, doom and gloom this morning...

--- Kitty

• If you have time, read the post called "What is Your Abyss".  Be pateint with yourself, love you some you as Sharon would say and stay the course.  I would try to be concious of the time, but not over worried about it at this point.  Focus on proper form, pay attention to muscle contraction and the rest will come.  By the time you hit your 6th UBWO you'll feel much more confident.  

Great job Kitty, keep moving forward!

• Thank you Michelle, could you possibly point me to that post? I tried a search but did not see it... also, is anyone else having trouble with the site? Not the BFL part, only the forum sections?

--- Kitty

• I'm new to this, and I can relate to your frustration.  My upper body workouts are taking about 55 minutes and lower are taking about 45.  On the positive side though, you (and I) are doing something positive.  And for me, it's better to move forward imperfectly rather than to not move forward at all.

• Challenge 2 over here. My upper body can take me as little as 35ish minutes to well over an hour. You'll get a rhythm. I used to be spot on 46 minutes for UBWO. Once I knew I could do it, it didn't matter anymore. :-)

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• It used to take me longer than an hour also but now the upperbody takes me 50 minutes and the lower body takes me 40 minutes, I think one of the things that causes people to take longer is that they usually take longer than 1 minute rest in between sets, the minute rest in between sets starts the moment your finished the previous set, however some people wait till they have put back the weights they were using and pick up the next set of weights and then process to start their minute rest, this is wrong, you need to include this is your rest minute

• Hi Kitty,

Just thought I'd bump this thread and see how your are coming along with your timing?

• IMHO, I don't think you should be changing exercises every 4 weeks.. ...I don't know your story - whether this is your first time working out or first time in a long time but working out is, just like this program, building a foundation.  The better you get at the exercises you are learning, then the easier transition becomes to new exercises.  As long as you are able to hit the intensities with these exercises, stick with them for now until you get that timing down.