Workout Pain

• Hi everyone, let me just start off by saying this is my first BFL cycle.  I started on Monday 29 November and as of Wednesday, my upper body is still dying from the monday workout.  Is it normal for the pain to last for this long?  If i am still hurting on friday, am I supposed to work out upper body again?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Ken

"THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE IS NOT THE TRIUMPH.....BUT THE STRUGGLE"

• It is normal. You are not use to lifting weights! I don't  know if you should workout or wait.

But I know one thing, ADVIL is going to be my very best friend once I start the challenge!

Live life with passion!

• Yea I must say, this is the only problem I seem to be having so far.  The diet is going great, very clean.  I hade my first cardio workout last night and it was wonderful.  I hit all of my highpoints, and came out of the gym thinking to myself, I never knew you could get such a great workout in only 20 minutes.  If I could just figure out a way to manage this pain a little better, without the help of so much ALEVE then I would be all set.

• Yeah I know... It also bothers me the idea of painkillers... But I don't see any other way at least for me... I am not a person to take painkillers lightly but I think I will be taking them during my challenge because today I had a 1/2 hour weightlifting workout and I am hurting! I can not imagine when I go all the way...

But here are the very bad news:

www.bodybuildingweb.net/.../aspirin-other-pain-killers-effects-on-muscle-growth

Live life with passion!

• WOW...I did not know that...well so much for taking the ALEVE...I will deal with the pain...I would hate to have all my hard work killed by taking something like that.

• When I first started my legs were so sore I could hardly walk and had to sit in baths every night, the pain will pass though I promise, your body is just not used to lifting weights yet.

Hang in there:)

• I am in week 9 of my 2nd challenge and I am writing to you with a sore arms from my Monday workout.  It's usually 36 hours when the soreness peaks, but it is worth it, so hand in there.  

Also, I might get slayed for suggesting this, but pineapple is a natural anti-inflammatory- not a completely authorized food because of the high sugar, but a fruit nonetheless.  If I am really sore, I have pineapple with cottage cheese.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten!

My FOURTH Challenge: May 23-Aug. 14, 2011.  Began First BFL Challenge on June 21, 2010

• I guess my biggest question is this...

If I am still sore on Friday, should I work out my upper body again?

Is this going make me more prone to injury, or inhibit my growth by working out a already broken down muscle

• Friday is a long ways off my friend.  I'm sure you will be fine.  Make sure you are getting enough protein in.  Most whey protein has some BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acid) in it...and that along with L-Glutamine help a lot with muscle recovery.  They are almost essentials and cheap too....Good luck and keep at it!

• I'd wait and see just how sore you are on Friday, if it's not too much I think you should carry on, if it's unbearable....hm, not sure but hopefully someone does know, you could always give the EAS folks a call?

I know that even now when I'm really sore I scale down the weight's a little the next time.

• Hi Ken, the pain is normal - often refered to as DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness.  Tends to peak after about 48 hours.  Just push through the pain  It does not help to postpone your workouts because of soreness.  After a few weeks it will not be nearly as painful - or even barely noticeable.

• Thanks everyone for your help.  I just spoke with a friend of mine who is a serious lifter, and I think I am going to take his and ParsonBrown's advice and try out the L-Glutamine.  I will let you know how it all works out.

• Very interested!

www.livescience.com/.../090331-coffee-pain.html

www.guambodybuilding-forum.com/post

Live life with passion!

• I would not workout if your still sore on friday, your body is not used to weight training at this intensity just skip the workout  for that day, I know you may be hesitant to do this but you need to listen to your body, alot of people underestimate the importance of recovery which is major part of the whole process, I also do not recommend taking advil or any sort of pain killers for this as it can interfer with recovery, what  I do recommend is a supplement called l-glutamine which helps repair muscles after training, dont worry about missing that workout ,as you get used to the workouts  your muscles will start to get used to the process and be recovered by the next time your supposed to do upperbody

• Here's another idea for next time.  I read the other day that cocoa powder after a hard workout can also help reduce DOMS.  In fact, this morning I worked very hard and hit some 9s if not 10s.  In order to stave off DOMS when I got home I had a small chocolate protein shake with added cocoa powder and coffee.  I also had some glutamine.  

I'll find out in the next few days whether that helped.

BTW MyDecade, thanks for those links.  The painkiller one had a few amusing posts. LOL