What to do when your next weight isn't available?

• I do a lot of the dumbbell exercises because I'm intimidated by the barbells and I like the smaller weight progression compared to the machines.  The problem is when the gym is busy, sometimes the weight I need for my next set of reps isn't available.  For example, if I used the 5 for a set of 12, I may need the 10s for the set of 10 - but there aren't any available.

Suggestions for when this happens?

• Are you sure there isn't another section of the gym that has more 10's? I know that there are only 2 sets of 8 and 2 sets of 12's at our gym. However, the row of dumbbells across the front has 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. If not, I usually hold some of the weights hostage :-0 I keep the ones I am using for the next  reps with me. As I finish that rep, I return one and grab another.

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Hey! One other thought...do they have the kettlebells there? I have used those in a pinch as well.

Keep the faith!

• MissBritt-Maybe talk to your gym and "kindly" ask them to buy an extra set of dumbbells; maybe that would help...because I'm sure there are plenty of weight plates for the "muscleheads" right??

Renee-you are such a rebel! Holding the wts. hostage! lol!

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• missbritt,

I usually ask the person who has the weights that i just need it to do a set of 10 and i will give it right back to them and that usually works. As you continue to go to the gym at the same time you will get to know the ppl probably not personally but you will see them and feel comfortable around them. I normally don't talk to anyone in the gym since i go with my wife and sister and am always on them to get to their exercise because a minute has passed. I am a stickler for the minute rest and 2 minutes rest. They like to call them breaks from me.

• HaHaHa That sounded really mean of me holding weights hostage. Honestly, when I am there at 11:00 at night no one really cares. Probably not a solid suggestion :-D

Keep the faith!

• If you are looking for 10's you can actually use a 10lb plate.  I have used the 25lb plates in a pinch for certain lifts.  Of course I have pretty big hands.