Today was my first day!

• And it has gone all wrong!!! I cant get past all the negative and discouraging thoughts that tell me im going to fail no matter what. I tried to do my cardio today and got a horrible cramp in my side. I tried to keep going but it just got worse so i had to stop after only 15 min. Any advise on how to aviod those cramps? My diet has been good so far today. I really want to do this but my mind is getting in the way. I dont really have any obsticles to deal with other than myself. Any advice would be greatly appericiated.

• Ok what did you do for cardio?

• Kelliking, I'm confused as to why you are on cardio if you are on day 1?  Shouldn't you be on Upper body?  I get cramps doing cardio if I drank too much water right before working out.  Or if I don' stretch enough.

You can do this.  Plan, and attack each day with open arms!  You've come to the right place for all your questions and motivation!  Good luck to you.

If it helps, go to the media area or Transformation.com and see some of the regulars on this forum and how there success has paid off.

You can do this!

• OK - take a deep breath and relax. Day 1 is not enough to get you frazzled. You have to work out a few things so don't beat yourself up. If your meals are good then the day would have been a success. 15 min is more than you have done before I assume, so that too is great.

You need to act your way to better thinking and even though that might be hard, you will get through this. If you can - go to www.transformation.com and search for Liesl under the community. Have a look at my pictures and see what can be done. Keep coming back here to ask questions and we will help you out as best we can. Normally in the early morning we use the tread BFL Coffee crew and later in the day Faithfull GBers thread. If you can post your questions there, you will get a lot of experienced answers.

Keep strong - YOU CAN DO THIS.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON - LIESL

• YAY for sticking to your diet! That is 80% of the plan. Look...you are more than half way there! Make sure you are chugging some SERIOUS water intake. That will help. Rememer that your first couple of minutes are at an intensity level 5. If you HIIT it too fast, too early, you could experience the cramping. Hey...you made it 15 minutes. Be proud of the accomplishment that you made. Acknowledge that you found an obstacle and are not going to let than hinder your progress. You are seeking out assistance to get through this. Good for you! You are going to do amazing!

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Good point on the water Rosemary! I just told her to chug water. Yeah...not right before you do cardio. Details...details...details

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Kelliling-

You are off to a GREAT start whether you think it or not! You have decided to to change your lifestyle for the next 3 months: eat healthier foods, push yourself in your workouts and rediscover a whole new you!!

Yes. I am the official BFL cheerleader.

First- you are getting cramps because

a- your body isn't used to the vigorous work outs

b- you aren't drinking enough water

c- You didn't stretch enough

d- You just ate

When I got cramps, I ran through them, though it seemed like the end of the world- but it really helps. Don't stop! Remember, you can slow it down and then build it up- don't kill yourself running 5 mph if you haven't strapped on jogging shoes in over a year.

I think we all believe we won't see results.... until we do.  And we promise you (because we have all personally seen results) that if you stick to the program, you WILL succeed!!

BTW- Log onto 'Gather here Faithful GBers' forum for extra encouragement and support, also "Newbies" forum. Others there in the same situation as yourself.

Best of luck!!!

Stacy Lynn

• Rosemary's right-  don't chug water before workouts- but after....CHUG!

Stacy Lynn

• Kelli,

I hear YA.. Being a person who ash NTO run a lick in the past, hmmmm 15 years... Just me RUNNING felt weird. But then after a 1/4 mile of running and I was winded, cramping up, and basically DONE.. I kept it up and tried to go farther the next time.

Just becasue they say 20 Minutes of HIIT, in the book does not mean EVERYONE can start out at 20 minutes. Just DO what you can and trust the process... In no time your gonna be running 20 minutes no probem saying Sheesh this sucks I have to stop lol lol lol

Take it nice and slow, let your BODY tell you when it's had enough, not a book. Your gonna do Great..

With that beign said here some tips.

Ways to Prevent or Lessen the Pain of the Common Side Stitch:

1) Do not Run on a Full Stomach

You shouldn't drink large amounts of water or eat 2 hours before exercise. Sip small amounts (1-2 swallows) before and during exercise and wait to fully re-hydrate until after the workout. Dehydration can cause cramping as well, so do not ignore water/Gatorade during running. Always sip a few swallows at regular intervals if running for more than 30 minutes and in hot temperatures.

2) Decrease Pace and Breath Deeply

Decrease fast pace for a few minutes and continue deep breathing techniques during running. A common running sequence is a three step inhale and two step exhale pattern. Slowing down your pace will allow for you to keep up with that pattern. As you increase to near maximum speed, your breathing will become more labored. However, you can push through the pain and keep your pace if you concentrate on breathing deep by pushing your stomach out when you inhale and relaxing it as you exhale.

3) Pre-Stretch With Side Torso Twists

Pre-stretch before running by doing side torso twists. One of the best ways to pre-stretch the area is to lift your arms over your head and lean to the left and right at the waist.

• Not to confuse anyone, but I drink about half a litre of water before my cardio and at least a litre during. I have not had any problems. I know everyone is different, but if I don't drink water, I feel ill after.

I think the cramps will have more to do with being unfit. IMHO

KEEP ON KEEPING ON - LIESL

• make sure you are drinking enough water.  i often find that i get cramps during my workouts when I don't drink enough water.  also stretching and proper breathing will aid you in your road to success.  you can do!!

• If you are just starting, aches and pains and cramps are common.  The best advice I can give is fight through the pain.  You will be so much happier you did.  If you feel you just can't make it after 15 minutes, just try to finish up the 20 minutes at a reduced pace to keep your body moving and your heart going.  If you feel you can't start out doing high intensity, try 40 minutes of low intensity cardio, but try to shoot for the 20 minutes of high intensity.  It gets better over time.

• This is your first hurdle.

This is doable. This is possible.

Maybe start the treadmill with a good paced walk. Watch your heart rate.

Baby step to the next level.

This is a good way to strengthen your core to be strong enough to step up the cardio and work out program.

Some people are starting from a very fragile state, depending on how sedentary the life style, and age.

The point is, no matter where you are, and where you have to start - YOU CAN DO THIS!

Move forward - NO REGRETS LATER.

Welcome to our BFL family.

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry

• I actually cramped up a bit this morning during my cardio and it's not because I am unfit, I can safely say it's because I drank too much water too quickly right before I hopped on the treadmill.  How I controlled it:  I really focused on levelling my breathing and eventually it faded as opposed to getting worse.

On a sidenote, during my level 10 I had my heart rate up to 80% capacity of a freakin 10 year old, I'm 30...lololol

Anyways OP, it hasnt gone all wrong like you think - the truth is you've made the commitment and proceeded with the program...that's ALL RIGHT!  Stick with it, ask for advice, and you'll work it out.

• Armster - that sounds like a great workout! Good for you for getting that heart rate up!

Once I drank 1.5L water while power walking a couple years ago in about 45min. About 1 - 1 1/2 hours later I had very painful cramping in my side...which I believe was in my kidneys now. It really is not a good idea to drink quickly, but I get the understanding you know that...just putting that out there for others. I believe 2 glasses of water per hour is what your body prefers to digest and at that rate is able to use all the water for hydration and not just pee it out.

My 2 cents. Be safe. :)