Additonal Cardio

• 1st post for me, this is my 2nd BFL challenge im 9 weeks in and it is predictably awesome. Both this time and last time I get greedy as all hell once i get into the homestretch and like to add additional cardio. I do all of my HIIT training on an exercise bike and I have an ambition to start some distance running. I wanna be able to go low impact 7-10 miles as part of an exit strategy. I realize the benefits to HIIT a long run is something I have never been able to do.

My question to the peanut gallery is - Is there anyway that you find adding a 3-4 jog, (HIIT in the morning - jog at night )at low impact to your cardio days is going to distract or negate my efforts for the BFL challenge.

FYI Main goal is lean and tone

Thanks.

• I have a similar question as well.  I just started the BFL program and think the workout strategy is great but I've been going to the gym pretty religious for the past few years usually for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.  Would I screw up the program by doing an add'l 20-30 of cardio outside of the normal program?  I feel guilty only doing 20 minutes worth and I like to escape biking and listen to my iPod.

• My humble opinion on both questions...If and only if you've completed a full 12 week challenge and have first hand experience with the fatigue associated with weeks 10-12 would I even consider it. 

I understand personal goals change as you become more fit and I personally won't discourage your amibition IF you've successfully completed a challenge.

If this is your first challenge, I say give it the full 12 weeks before changing it.  No matter what you've done prior to BFL because it's different. 

My other concern is the nutritional aspect. Your body is going to be screaming for food towards the end of your challenge without any extra work.  If you add extra to that, you are getting in to a physically and mentally exhausting arena and if you are not prepared for that, you could suffer burn out.

Lots to think about.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• As to feeling guilty only doing 20 minutes, then you are probably not doing HIIT correctly.  If done correctly you'll be begging for that 20 minutes to be over.  So step up your levels.  You shouldn't be able to talk in your last level.  ;o)

• I think its kind of funny though.   While I am doing my cardio, I hate it and yes I want it to be over, but after an hour later or even later in that evening I feel like it wasn't enough even though I was dying during it.

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."  -Henry Rollins-

• That's because for YEARS we've all been programmed to believe that the only way to get there is to work harder...  Lucky for us, we've discovered NOT SO MUCH!!  ;O)

• I agree If you make the 20 minutes count is enough!

• Champster said:

"As to feeling guilty only doing 20 minutes, then you are probably not doing HIIT correctly.  If done correctly you'll be begging for that 20 minutes to be over.  So step up your levels.  You shouldn't be able to talk in your last level.  ;o)"

This is very true.  If you are on the treadmill for examples, and are not having to strugglejust to drop the speed/incline, etc. after your 10, to get to your 5(cool down) then you are not doing it right.

After you are done the HIIT level 10, you're heart rate should be in the 80% capacity range for your age.  You should be feel like you have accomplished something huge and on occasion if you are the gym, someone might be looking at you funny because in their head they are thinking, "why is this person torturing him/herself?"  lol, seriously though.

• It's not guilt, I think that the 20 minute training is intense, it's ambition that makes me want to do more at night. I would increase the time from 21 minutes to 30 in my morning HIIT if i thought it was possible but the purpose of intensity level is that it is not.

As i grow closer to twelve weeks there is an itch to workout all the time and its awesome , at night on my cardio days I finally have the endurance to go for a decent distance run and enjoy aerobic cardio for a decent amount of time. My initial question was - is this counterproductive to my overall goals? After doing it for two weeks no I am only jogging at night on day after upper body and saturday and it's been working out.  2x a week max 4 miles each time.

• One of the most difficult things to really take in is that in exercise "more" is not necessarily better. The other difficult thing to take in is the idea that you must eat enough food if you want to lose fat. THe idea that you need to do endless cardio and the idea that you need to eat less and less if you want to drop weight are both bad ideas, but they always recur, especially toward the end of our challenges when we desperately want the very best results we can get.  It's possible to do it, but the end result to the body is generally not good. Usually, it ends with the muscles being flat and feeling flabby and the countenance carrying that worn out look. A good tan and a big smile can hide the countenance issue, but the muscle flatness is usually irretrievable at that point and the pics portray scrawny rather than lean and toned.  Marathon runners pretty much bear in their bodies the end results of lots of cardio. And in most of their cases, the word "scrawny" comes to mind.

• I was in the place of wanting more cardio a few weeks ago.  My results without extra are right on track for me and when I feel the need for extra, I just take a leisurely walk around the neighborhood.  It gets me off my butt and is not going to jeopardize all the metabolic/chemical stuff I imagine is happening to my body.

• That was a great answer man thank you. You're 100% correct mathon runners are skin and bones while if you ever see sprinters they are jacked.

• Amen.

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry