Am I doing something wrong or is this normal in weight training?

• Hello folks, I started the BFL routine and I loved the book. Today I'm on day 5 which means I jusr completed upper body exercise again (after doing it first on day 1). The problem is that I'm doing worse than I did on day 1 is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

After I did day one my muscles ached the next 2-3 days. I haven't been able to maintain my diet to the specified 6 portions of protiens/carbs, I've been able to do 4 of each daily.

I'd love to learn if this is normal, psychological, dietary, routine etc. Thank you for your attention :)!

• Good job Nash...you are almost through week 1.

I would suggest that it is not uncommon for people to need a few workouts to find their starting point with weights.  Nothing wrong with realizing you need to back off on the weight lifted.  You will definitely get it right back within a few workouts.

The 5-6 meals per day is very important.  If you have been eating 2-3 for a long time...it is understandably tough, but you can do it.  I would suggest posting what your eating for each meal and we will see if we can help you.  You might be eating enough for all 5-6 meals already and just need to spread it out...or you might need to eat more.  Throw it out here for some BFL analysis! ;)

Keep up the good/hard work.  It has taken a lot of us some time to get it all straightened out...I'll be the first to admit I don't have it perfected.

• I'll echo ParsonBrown's post (Hi, ParsonBrown!). I'm near the end of Week 8 and I'm still backing off on certain weights. That first UBWO was a breeze for me, too, but the second one was much tougher.  I didn't even follow the pyramid format (I did 3 sets of 12 at first) until halfway through Week 2. I'd say it took until probably Week 3 for me to get in the groove with workouts.There's a difference between hitting a 10 and hurting yourself or succumbing to poor form. Progress - not perfection. That's the name of the game in here. Keep careful notes of how much weight you used on each exercise, and how many reps per set. After a couple of weeks, you will be surprised, and really motivated, by your progress!

There's a girl out there warming up with your max.

• Nash I found the same thing in week1. I hit muscle fatigue faster on Day 5 than Day1 and couldn't quite pump out the full 12's on the super set.

The week 2 UBWO was back to day one and by the Week 3 rolled around I was actually able to do more and it continue on from there.

If you haven't worked out much prior ,that 2nd UBWO in the first week I think your body is kinda like "holy hell what are you doing!" But like the amazing machine it is, it adapts.

Not to ruin the surprise, but what to see what you legs tell you next week when its time for the 2nd LBWO in the same week. ;)

• I have not done weight training before so when I started this program on Oct. 4th, I did my upper body training and it went well.   was minimally sore the next day.  When I did my lower body training on Wednesday, I did incorporate the lunges and I have to say, walking is painful and I have great difficulty going up and down stairs.  I am so sore.  Did I overdo it?  Is this normal?  Thank goodness I used yesterday as my free day since it was my anniversary and my hubby and I went out to dinner.  Today is suppose to be my cardio day.  Should I hold off today since I am still extremely sore or do I still try to do something?  Should I give myself another day to let the muscle rebuild or do I work through it?  I really believe in the program and would love your opinions.

Diana

• Nash..you have to eat more.  Food is fuel for your muscles.  You can't life heavy if you don't have that glycogen in your muscles (you get this from your carbs).  Just make sure you get all your meals in, drink lots of water and get a good night's sleep.

Diana:  Totally normal...it is called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).  That is why you need to give those muscles a good break before you work them again with weights.  I always feel it more in my lower body than upper.  NO, don't skip cardio...work through it.  The pain subsides after the first 5 minutes or so, and then you will be doing fine!  Happpy Anniversary!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Nash: I agree with what has already been said. Eating frequently is a vital part of the program. :) Enjoy!

Diana: If you've never lifted before, the first week is going to be tough. It is totally normal to be feeling like you are right now. Keep moving and stretching. Do your cardio. It help move the acid in your muscle and will help you feel better. Stretch and take a walk before bed. You need to keep moving and stretching. It hurts, but the more you move the better you will feel faster. If you just sit and relax it will take longer. I had forgotten about the pain the first week back into weight training. It only really lasts the first week at the intensity you are feeling. It will pass. keep stretching girl!

• Nash,

Congrats on starting the BFL challenge!!!  

There are some great supplements from EAS that will help not only your workouts but your muscle repair and recovery time. It is a good idea to first focus on clean eating and intense workouts but, when you are ready, call the EAS 1-800 number and talk to the great staff there about what supplements will work best for you and your goals. I started using some supplements in the last month of my first challenge and all through my second challenge and without a doubt they played a great role in my transformation.

All the best with your challenge

Orrin

• Thanks for the info.  I just finished my cardio thanks to you and Nash!  I stretched out first which really helped and I worked through it.  I'm so glad I did it.  I didn't want to miss any workouts.  I actually feel better now.  I just love the support.  Usually  I would have questions and have to try to figure them out myself.  This forum is so great for getting the right anwers from someone who has been there done that.

Diana

• Folks, I am just blown away by how cool and supportive everyone is in this community; you folks are awesome, thanks for all the great encouragement and advice.

I try to eat 2 portions (carb+protiens) every 3 hours but because of my company (I run a startup in telecom, very hectic), I don't always get the opportunity to eat as regularly.

However, that being said, I just bought the Myploex Meal Replacement Shakes from the local GNC and plan to have that as well. But because I live in Pakistan, Myoplex is crazy expensive by our standards and the thought of having a shake twice a day (as recommended by the book) is terrifying on my wallet. So, I'm hoping to have just one shake a day to make it last the 20 servings. Do I really need the suppliments? My appologies if my questions sound so very naive.

Thank you ParsonBrown, WannaBeABrickhouse, BCbill, Dissappearing Diana, BDMom, Bay & Orrin for your time!

• Nash,

You do not need all the supplements to do a challenge or transform your life. The challenge is something like 80% nutrition 15% exercise and 5% supplements. You can get all the great BFL results by eating clean and hitting your 10s with the weights and your cardio. Supplements like Myoplex, though, are great for our busy lives.

Orrin