workout ideas for home

• My gym is closing for a month for renovations. Does anyone have any ideas for working out at home, I dont really have any  equipment that I can use so I can really use some suggestions.

• I workout from home with little equipment, mostly because I can't afford a gym or even a workout bench.

To keep up a good workout, I go back to the basics: push-ups, tricep-dips on a sturdy chair, and walking lunges.

When I couldn't afford free weights, I used anything I could find to lift.  Canned foods in plastic bags, spaghetti jars filled with coins, a tequila bottle in one hand and the margarita mix in the other!

In addition, working out from home is more challenging than going to the gym.  If you live with others, it can be hard to find your space and get away from distractions.  I workout first thing in the morning to avoid interruptions.

good luck and keep at it!

Kathryn

• kespejo gave some good solid advice...I would add to take a look at your local Craigslist.  There is almost always some kind of workout equipment for sale.  I only workout at home and I have almost all of the basics...but a workout ball and a few dumbbells will do a lot of stuff.  Just something to consider.

For cardio - obviously you can walk/jog/run in the neighborhood.  A jump rope is another excellent cardio tool and they are cheap.  Be creative with all of it and keep at it!

• There are always gyms giving away 7-day passes to try out their facility.  Maybe you could snag a few of those, and "borrow" another gym while wating for your to re-open.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I suggest a book called, You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. This book has great nutrition and exercise information - consistent with BFL. More importantly it has many, many exercises you can do using body weight only. These can be done at home, park, local running track etc.

I have done several of these work outs and they are always challenging and I get really sore. It's a great back up plan for travel or just when you want to be outside or have a change of pace. There is a lot you can do with your own body weight to build real muscle.