When to increase - 1st vs. 2nd type in last set

• Hi,

I've been doing the workouts for several weeks and have a question about when to increase weights. My question is about continuing to increase the main exercise you're doing when you're not completing the second type in the last set.

So let's use bench press as my main chest exercise with a swap to flies for the last 12. I seem to be able to complete the press and keep taking it up. But I plateau on the flies and can't complete the 12 with good form.

Should I hold off going up on the press until I can get through the press and the flies with good form?

Thanks!

Caryn

• D2I,

Yes, hold off on increasing the press weights for now.  Your'e probably taking  too much weight for the flyes - how many of the 12 can you complete?  You should consider reducing the weight for flyes, especially if your'e fatiguing at less than 6 reps.

Perhaps a better way to progress would be to reverse the two excercises for a while.  Do flyes as your primary excercise, and press as the windup.  Also, make sure your arms do not go below horizontal on the low point of the flyes, as that can lead to injury.

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Thanks, Jaclum. Very helpful.

Yes, you're right on too much weight on the flies given the form. Fortunately I'm doing them sideways on a machine, so no injury weight. And given that I'm about 3 weeks into the workouts, great idea for me to reverse everything in about a week.

• D2I,

I don't like or trust machines for UB.  Suggest you use dumbbells and a bench.  You can also vary the angle of the bench on a few of the 12/10/8/6/12 series, which works the upper or lower chest more, depending on whether you're inclining or declining.  

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium