Weight Lifting Injuries

• Does anyone have any guidance to give on avoiding chronic injuries caused by repetitive lifting over a long period of time?  What should we be looking out for as we continue BFL and lift weights for months/years?  I'm more interested in how to avoid chronic injuries at this point, but I'm sure other visitors to "the Gym" could use info on acute injuries as well.

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Let me start by saying I'm no doctor but...I believe that active rest plays a great role in preventing acute overuse injuries.  If you give your body sufficient rest at the end of each 12 week cycle the odds are against injury.  Also changing up the various exercises on a four week basis will help as well.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Making sure you use proper form and never increase weight to where it is too heavy to life properly. You should change the exercise for a muscle group every 4 weeks (6 workouts) or so.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Champster, BryanL,

Thanks for the advice.  I’ve been lifting for about 17 months, with only a week or so off in that time.   It sounds like I should take a week’s rest every 12 weeks or so, and change up the routine every 6 UBWOs or so.  I use dumbbells pretty much exclusively for my UBWO.  A weight lifting website had a section on developing tennis elbow from repetitive lifting with dumbbells.  Although sometimes my arms are sore, I don’t think it’s progressed to that point yet. I've also seen some comments recommending certain excercises be avoided if the elbows get hyperextended.

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium