4 day split routine?

• Hi everyone,

I would like to get everyone's opinion on a 4 day split workout routine. I realize that it strays away from the book, but I have been working out on and off for a while and seem to be getting good results from this split. Time is also an issue. I work 7 days a week and have small twins at home. I do cardio at 4:15 am, after work, I have 1 free hour to workout before picking up my kids. My routine is as follows

Day 1- chest and triceps

Day 2- back and biceps

Day 3-shoulders

Day 4- Legs

Day 5- OFF

I get an hour for each workout and slightly more rest for each muscle group by using this split. I also think I get more work per muscle group.

I feel the intentions of the book are to give you a good foundation to a healthy lifestyle and as time goes by we should change things up to keep our workouts from getting stale or boring. In about 6 weeks, I can go back to the UBWO/LBWO format.

Should I change and go strictly by the book for 12 weeks. All opinions welcome. Thanks.

• I guess I should add that I do abs every other day. Currently incline sit ups 25x3, hanging leg raises 20x3, and crunches till burnt out (front, and sides).

• Ignore this if you have already completed a 12 week cycle or two and are just looking to shake things up.

If not. I guess my question would be:

If you were seeing results you were happy with doing that routine why turn to BFL?

The BFL routine  would actually give you more free time, not less. 3 afternoons a week you wouldn't have to squeeze in a gym session if you do your cardio in the morning.  Are you doing cardio every morning? If so what kind of cardio and for how long?

If you followed the BFL routine and did 3 morning weights and 3 morning cardio every week, well all your afternoons would be free.

As to the more work per muscle group, I guess it depends on where you are at and what you are looking for from the program.  If you are looking to shed excess fat and put on some lean muscle like most of us here, the BFL program is just fine. I am more concerned with shrinking my waistline and lowering overall body  fat % than having 19" biceps or something.

If you are already in great shape and looking to fine tune your physique then I could see the split with more focus on each muscle group.

• BCBill, thank you for the input. I hope you didn't take my question wrong.  To give you a little more explanation, I have worked out with weights on and off for years. Being strong and being healthy are 2 totally different things. I decided to do BFL to transform my entire body and life. The cardio and proper food were non existent previously to me starting this challenge.  I would work out, then when finished eat bad meals, drink a beer, etc. I need the entire transformation. A little over a year ago I weighed 304, by working out I managed to lose 50 pounds. But without the proper cardio and diet I am stuck here and nowhere near my goal weight/bf%.

You brought up some good points about time and I hadn't really thought of it in that respect. I guess we all have to tweak the program in our own ways to suit our individual goals.

I am still fighting the battle daily, as I have my entire life. I started Monday and have not had a cigarette or beer, have kept my diet clean, and actually hit the cardio 2 days. I am happy with my first week. I am still figuring out what works best for me.

Thanks again and good luck.

• Your 4 day split is a good routine. I am currently doing a 3 day split.....chest/shoulder/triceps.....back/biceps and then legs. The type of weight routine you use is not nearly as important as your diet. The bfl weight routine is a good one and I have done it with great results. I'm a big fan of natural bodybuilding and almost all of them use some sort of split routine. It is common knowledge in the bodybuilding world that you need to continually change your routines so your muscles don't plateau by getting used to the same movements week after week. Since doing the "bfl" routine I have tried several other weight routines all with great progress. The KEY is your nutrition. Eating a clean high protein and low to moderate carb diet is what will get you to your fitness goal. I say do whatever routine you are comfortable with......eat clean and you will have great success. All the best.

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• Thank you fit4life. I think I will continue my split until around week 4 and then change it up.

The nutrition has always been the problem. I will see what happens in the next few weeks by eating clean and the correct portions.

Your pics have been an inspiration to me and the guys I work with. Great job. If I could get 1/2 of the results shown in your pics I would be thrilled.